• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fractal's NEW "Quantum(TM)" tube modeling technology

AdmiralB

just the first one that the internet though was useful cause it didnt come cheap, so people could carry on their superiority status of owning an expensive preamp.

Well, I reckon that pretty well says all that needs to be said. I was going to ask "who is Periphery", but knowing the above, it would be superfluous.

shasha

I couldn't possibly care any less what any one else uses. I never got that. I've owned and tried a ton of stuff out there over the years and liked a lot of it, been frustrated by a lot of it and the AxeFX stuff has been my go to rig since 2009 starting with the Ultra. I'm not going to say that it was perfect, but it provided a level of quality and features that wasn't available anywhere else and with all of the parameters you could tweak it to do most things you needed it to. I don't have a ton of needs, I usually go with like 5-10 core presets. The AxeFXII has just been an evolution of incremental improvements with some pretty significant ones every so often that have kept me engaged, kept the system fresh and most importantly made using it easier.

It works for me. It makes me happy. I smile a lot when I use it. I don't care who made what when, who allegedly uses what, it's not a contest, it's a damn box that I bought that makes noises. I like it and I don't need someone else's opinion to validate my choice. Use whatever makes you happy and don't worry about me. Maybe I got someone riled up about Line6 and the Helix, but I stand by my comment that it's kind of silly to speculate over a term applied for a firmware update when it's been done multiple times and none of them coincided with some "big product release" from the competition. If it was then good for him. Marketing is part of the business....if a name is enough to sway a buyer than they deserve to be swayed.

fremen

Muad' Thib
Vendor
No wha here, maybe the various ways I attack the strings can give that impression

hippietim

The Roland VG-8 came out in 1995 and modeled amps, cabs, and effects PLUS it modeled electric and acoustic guitars, provided alternate tunings, polyphonic effects, and guitar synthesis.

So 30 years ago it offered what is essentially a POD and a Variax in one integrated system. The downside is that it required a GK pickup. Many pros have used the VG-8 and its successors.

Obviously the modeling has been eclipsed at this point for traditional guitar/amp simulation but there's some fantastic non-traditional sounds in the VG-8 that no other device can do - not even its successors

BCnSTL

That Dumble clip was great.

Another great *free* update from Cliff for Axe II users. If only the other competitors offered as much for their customers.

I do find the Deja-Vu gushing comments to be slightly embarrassing but hey - they're happy - don't rain on their parade.

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
I was just wondering which competitors?
Yeah, I couldn't tell if that "competitor" comment was sarcasm or not. Which of the many modeling companies charge for FW updates? I certainly have never paid for any.

effectsman

That Dumble clip was great.

Another great *free* update from Cliff for Axe II users. If only the other competitors offered as much for their customers.

I do find the Deja-Vu gushing comments to be slightly embarrassing but hey - they're happy - don't rain on their parade.

I don't like the fact that the Axe gets regular updates that require you to adjust all your presets. I have 232 of them! I have an Ultra that is set on FW 11 and can't progress, which means thankfully I don't have to constantly adjust my presets. I've also gone back and played the Axe FX II and its iterations 3-4 times a year to see how it has progressed. The fact that the Axe has required regular updates to make it sound "more real" should tell you something about how far away from "being real" it was when it began. Today I would say the XL has incrementally improved over the Ultra and the II, but all the gamechanger stuff is overblown and tiresome.

If I was to buy another modelling platform I would prefer a product with a more mature software code with occasional updates, like some of the other competitors you refer too offer. I think a certain other company got it closer to right when they released their offering, but that was because of years of development that they had down in other products. In 10 years from now when someone buys the latest AXE FX they too will benefit by the progress that has occured with the Fractal units.

Last edited:

Danny W.

If I was to buy another modelling platform I would prefer a product with a more mature software code with occasional updates, like some of the other competitors you refer too offer.

I've owned a number of those--the biggest difference in that Fractal fixes mistakes and improves performance, while the "mature code" guys don't bother. It's not more mature, it's just half-baked and sold as done.

Not to mention the dozens of new features and 150+ new models that Fractal has added over the years. I'll take that over "mature" any day.

Danny W.

iaresee

I don't like the fact that the Axe gets regular updates. I have an Ultra that is set on FW 11 and can't progress, which means I don't have to constantly adjust my presets.
As always: no one is holding a gun to your heading making you update. Like how things sound on firmware eleventytwentyoneandahalf? Stay there. Be happy. Rock out.

effectsman

As always: no one is holding a gun to your heading making you update. Like how things sound on firmware eleventytwentyoneandahalf? Stay there. Be happy. Rock out.

Never said they were. Just was stating MY preference...which was contrary to others who prefer and like regular updates. But its all good.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom