Fralin Blues Special; anybody used them

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by russiancrowe, Feb 8, 2008.

1. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

I'm building myself an Esquire and wondered if anyone who had used the Fralin Blues Special pickups with a vintage stagger had any opinions about them. I don't want anything that is too thin sounding. I'd prefer more of a midrange sound if that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

I had them in an old American Standard Tele I owned and liked them very much.

They are definitely not thin sounding.

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've got one in the bridge of one of my Tele's, mated to a P-92 in the neck. I like it alot! It is not thin sounding at all. In fact, quite the opposite. It is rich, phat and full in tone with great bite! It is a little hotter than vintage but no so hot that it looses that all important "Tele Twang". I think it just might could be my favorite Tele bridge position pickup.

[​IMG]

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

I have a Fralin Blues in my Esquire style guitar and it sounds great. Thick, articulate with lots of bite available when needed.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I think Lindy describes them as having 5% more mids and 5% less highs, and the set I have in my '56 Tele refin sounds just like that.

I like them a lot, but I think they're a little mid-heavy and top end light for totally authentic country. Mostly I play straight Cowboy honky-tonk stuff and some R&B with that guitar, but I also use it in a '70's funk band - works great.

That's my take - a little mid-ier, and little less highs than the Vintage Hot ones. I agree with Mainsale - a little hotter, but not so much so that they lose the Tele twang. Excellent pickups, not at all thin.

Dana O.

6. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm going to go ahead with this pickup.

7. Samba

Samba Member

I've got the uncovered neck version. It has transformed my Tele, and makes the neck as usable as the bridge.

[​IMG]

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Brad Paisley uses one.. that means a lot as far as I'm concerned!

9. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I have Fralin Blues in my tele and they are very nice. Not thin at all. They really breathe life into a tele IMO.

10. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I use them in my E tuning Tele. The Blues Sp. neck pickup is the best Tele neck pickup that I've ever used. It has a clear, balanced tone, and the output matches well with the bridge unit with no microphonic feedback. The bridge unit is fat but still has a well defined Tele 'bite'. Some players looking for a glassy, clean, clean bridge tone might find it a bit too fat, but for what I do it is perfect. In E tuning for slide or a Stonesy rhythm tone it is great. With the right pots and cap, it has a great tonal range. Sounds right with the volume rolled back, or you can wind it up w/ the tone pulled back to 7 or so and get a nice fat solo tone. Great for slide. I've had this particular Tele for close to 20 years and I went through a lot of different pickup sets before ending up with the Fralins. They've been in there for 5 years or so and I've never felt the need to change.
    [​IMG]

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have a Fralin BS Tele bridge and BS Strat middle in a Koll Tele (Unbucker in the neck)

Lindy makes my favorite Tele and Strat pickups, hands down. I had a set of the vintage-output 'Stock Tele' variety in my G&L ASAT Classic and it was the best that guitar ever sounded. It's only a matter of time before I get another set and leave them there.

12. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I just bought a Tele Bridge Blues Special last night, I can't wait to put into the guitar.

I also have a set in a Highway Strat and they sound fantastic as well. They really gave the guitar the lows and mids that it needed, fattening the sound.

Lindy's pickups are second to none in my opinion, I'd give them a shot if I were you.

13. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone. GuitarG, sounds like exactly what I am planning on useing the guitar for once it's finished. I tend to play slide in open g most of the time.