Fralin P 92 and Twangmaster pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rnib2u, Apr 2, 2008.

1. rnib2u

rnib2u Member

Has anyone used either one of these pickups? I've got a Grosh Setneck and was thinking about installing one of them in the neck position. I don't know of the difference in the tones between them. I have a regular Fralin humbucker in the bridge and I'm looking for a killer single coil tone from a humbucker. Thanks!

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I think you'll get more response if you post this in the guitar section. I know there are several players over there that have the P92s and rave about them - one even said it was his favorite pickup. I've yet to hear anything negative about them. Gorgeous P90 tone without the hum.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I LOVE P-92s. I replaced humbuckers in my Heritage Prospect 335 style and my Heritage Sweet 16 archtop with them.
    For me they have the perfect combination of the push and power of a humbucker and the sweet highs and articulate lows of single coils. And they're very close to humbucker quiet.
    I'd love to do a Strat style 3 pickup with P-92s.
    And yes, you might pm a mod and have them move this thread to the guitar section.

4. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well I wouldn't say that a P92 sounds exactly like a P90, but obviously in the ballpark. I would say that they sound amazing and I rate them very highly. To me they're just a touch more polite than a P90, maybe a hair sweeter. Very SC sounding but no hum - similar concept to G+L "Z-coils".

I haven't played a twangmaster, but have used TV Jones's Magna'tron and most of his Filter'trons. The Filters use a bar magnet like a P90 whereas the Magna uses alnico slugs like a Twangmaster. The Magna'tron sounds more single-coil-like than a Filter'tron, and more Fendery. So I would guess that a Twangmaster would be similarly more Fendery than a P90. IE sweeter and brighter with less aggressive mids.

5. teXum

teXum Member

Good description. To my ears, a P-92 shares some attributes with both the humbucker, P-90s and single coil family, and since tonal attributes vary alot even within each "family" descriptions become difficult, and highly dependent on experience and preferences, IMHO.

The neck P-92 in my Linhof tele-style reminds me of a slightly more mellow version of a SD Antiquity humbucker, but with more extended lows and highs than a typical '50s style neck tele SC. Not as "woody",I guess you could say, but then definitively more "snappy" Don't really hear to much of the P90 mid-bark, more like a hint of it. But I find my P-92 to be very sensitive of pick up height, which among other things quickly can introduce a bit more mids.

6. rnib2u

rnib2u Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info!!!

7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I've got Fralin P92s in my LP standard. They are like HOT soapbars. Last track I recorded with them, I was told "dude, that's the FATTEST strat tone I've ever heard!" They get great tone.

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I heard both side-by-side.
    The twangmaster is very bright, single coil strat-like tone. No hum
    Lindy called it "clean" and if you want a strat sound, go for that.

The P-92 are no-hum and sound fabulous. There are several different levels of power winds. If you want more bark, get them wound hotter, but that produces a huge mid-bump, and gets dirty fast. I got sick of the mid hump, and decided it was not really for me, but I had the most middy wind. If that makes any sense.
    Both have beautiful lows and brilliant highs compared to humbuckers, but less gain and drive.
    The other option is Unbucker, which is good w/ the neck position, but yields a humbucker sound, with a bit more clarity.

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I have two Twangmaster sets in two Gibsons ...
    To my ears they instantly convert these Gibsons into Mahogany sounding Teles...

The touch sensitivity of these pickups is incredible ... Highly recommended ..!!

10. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I just put a P-92 into the neck position of my SG and couldn't be happier with it. It gives me a lot more sparkle and chime with both pickups on, and the "neck only" is brighter and clearer too. No noise either!