Fralin P-92 with dirt?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shredcow, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Anyone has a clip of a P-92 with dirt?

I've been on google and stuff but its always a clean clip.

I'm curious as to how they sound with dirt and if possible, a clean & dirty comparison would be great!

2. JimH

JimH Member

I've not got any clips I'm afraid but I like them with dirt. It's hard to describe the sound - to me they're a really nice balance between power and articulation, which applies both clean and dirty.

3. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Could you compare it to a low wound, low output humbucker?

Or well... compare it to something... anything!

4. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

http://chiefbeefband.com/media.htm

Stream our EP, Equilibrium at the above link. The songs Pendulum, the Stagnant Get Removed, and Insulation Tape all are recorded with a PRS CU22 on the left, and a parts tele with P-92s on the right.

5. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Hey Johnmfer - Thanks for the link. I'll give it a good listen when I'm home from work. On my office PC speakers, the dirty tone sounds tight. Could you comment how fuzzes work with it? Reason is I dislike single coils in the bridge (too tight, too thin), so I want something more flubby, more loose.

vlance - Malcolm? Singapore? Oh great! How can I contact you?

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Sorry - no clips. But I love 'em with a little dirt. In my old Guild Bluesbird they were like a P90 but with a bit of Fender clarity thrown in. Through a Badcat I could get very Dave Grissom type tones. One of the great pickups IMHO!

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I sent you an email with a dirty clip.

8. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

NSFW?

Heh.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

LOL
    I got it back..is your email addy correct?

10. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

11. JimH

JimH Member

to be honest I was assuming you'd heard all the hype - powerful like a humbucker, with clarity like a SC and without the P-90 hum... it's true.

12. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I tend to like a tighter sound, and I don't use any kind of fuzz pedal or any distortion other than channel 2 of my Egnater TOL50. It's the perfect tone for me, has been for nine years now. So, sorry I couldn't be more help there.

13. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

interesting.

Yeah, i've read up and googled quite a bit.

I remember reading a comment that the P92 has the "depth of a humbucker" too - any input on this?

14. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Hey John,
    No problem if you don't have pedals... I just realised (doh!) that you have a humbucker guitar too, a PRS right?

So... comparing them both in terms of feel - does the P92 possess any of the typical (and very nice IMO) slightly "sluggish"/loose feel of the humbucker?

15. JimH

JimH Member

I'm not sure what depth is - if it's complexity then I wouldn't say the tone is particularly complex, not like some ancient humbucker can be, but the 92 is certainly no less complex than most of the new stuff. However if what is meant by depth is a rounded sonorous low end then definitely - I find it more so than most buckers as it doesn't have all the mids. To me it's a very acoustic like tone - but with sustain. You know humbuckers at their worst? - cheap ones through a bad amp on full gain often played by someone inexperienced and it's giving you pain in your frontal lobe - 92s are nothing like that.

16. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I don't think I can answer that question directly, but I can say that there is definitely a similarity.

The tele with P-92s backs up my PRS in a live situation. I can switch back and forth without having to adjust the amp. There are some differences in the tone, the tele is twangier on single notes and has a touch more clarity under distortion, but the overall quality is not quite as good. However, it's actually surprising how much my 25.5" scale hardtail alder body with bolt on maple neck sounds like my 25" scale mahogany body/maple top and set mahogany neck guitar with a trem. The sonic differences between the two guitars are subtle overall.

At one point before I put the P-92s in the tele, I pulled a set of Fralin PAFs out of my heavily modified Squier 51 and put the P-92s in, just to see what it would sound like. It was slightly brighter and twangier, but still had the same overall vibe going on as the PAFs in the same guitar. The pickups definitely sound different depending on what guitar you put them in.

17. oscar100

oscar100 Member

18. foughtthelaw

foughtthelaw Member

Go to stonetreeguitars.com, click on the "sound clips" tab and go down to the "Roscoe Deluxe Sr" guitar. This guitar has P-92's in it. There are clips of it being played clean and with gain through a Marshall Amp. Below these clips, there is also a youtube video of Roscoe Ambel, himself playing his namesake guitar with the Yayhoos.

19. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I think you're right. :D

20. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Thanks JimH & johnmfer for your inputs...

Ah... okay. Interesting. Has a bit of that loose-ish vibe in the low mids and bass... but tight tone otherwise.

Okay.

Maybe, i shall just have to try it out.