Fralin P-92's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mainsale, Oct 10, 2005.

1. mainsale

mainsale Member

Any of 'youse guys tried the Fralin P-92's? How did you like them? How did they sound? P-90ish or humuckerish?

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

anybody tried them?

3. Swampash

Swampash Member

If they are the same as the pups in the PRS EG guitars from the early '90s, they sound more like single coil "straty" pups than P90s...no where near regular 'buckers.

Due - to no small extent - to these pups, I believe that the PRS EG guitars are one of the best sounding guitars they ever made. Note: I do prefer single coils to HB pups. :cool:

BTW, you could call Lindy and ask how close these are to the early PRS pups.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

I spoke to Lindy yesterday and he said they sound like noiseless P-90's. I'm planning to use it in the neck of a Tele, and he thought it would be great in that application. So, I ordered one and will try it with a Blues Special bridge and 4-way switch. I'll let you know what I think when it is done.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I just ordered a Fralin Split Pole 43 (I believe that's what it's called - Phil Jacoby actually placed the order) to go between my two Unbuckers on my ongoing Garcia tribute guitar-in-progress that I've discussed here elsewhere. It's an interesting choice, it's essentially an 8.3K, P90-sounding Strat-sized single coil PUP. What I've done that particularly interesting is have Lindy tap it at around 6.0K with a lead that will eventually be connected to a minitoggle. This will allow me to toggle between P90 and a hot Strat tones on the middle PUP.

Lindy is so cool about this sort of customization. If you can dream it and articulate it and he agrees it's technically workable, he'll do it for you.

6. Gadowguitars

Gadowguitars Member

We used them in one of our Custom hollows...they are definetly quiet p90's.....the tone is still really p90.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

8. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Wonder what magnet he uses for the P-92?

Most of his other bucker size PuPs use AL 4...

Also, wonder how many winds to get the ultimate P-90 tone?

9. mainsale

mainsale Member

The P-92's have Alnico 2's and the Twangbanger's have Alinco 5's. You pick the number of winds you like.

10. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Are P-92's humbucking or just staggered?