1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fralin pickups....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MATH YOU, Feb 14, 2006.

1. MATH YOU

MATH YOU Member

is there such thing as a better single coil pick up? i just put a set of blues specials in a jap tele and it seems like a different guitar!!! i never thought it could sound this good.

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

right there with you buddy! Fralins are in all of my guitars, except, my Ric 12, and Dano Bari...

3. MATH YOU

MATH YOU Member

i have a 62 gibson melody maker, single pickup,
    i am thinking i'm going to send that pickup in for a little reworking. any thoughts?

4. drolling

drolling Member

Is it dead or are you just tired of the p-up's performance? I'd probably go for a rewind if it was broken, but if I was just tired of the sound, I'd store the original and order a new p-up from Fralin or one of the many other great winders out there. I was just reading a thread in the guitar section about tele pickups with a huge list of current manufacturers..

5. Stephens

Stephens Member

Two thumbs up for Fralins! By far the best boutique single coil I've had/heard so far. I use the Callaham spec Fralins which is an underwound version of the Vintage Hots. Great vintage strat tone!

6. billygoat

billygoat Member

How does that blues special neck sound? THe neck pup in my 52 ri is pretty squealy and I am thinking about some blues specials.

7. MATH YOU

MATH YOU Member

it sounds like perfection!!!
    i layed down some tracks straight in just througha little blues jr and i couldn't believe what i heard. nothing done to it what so ever.
    i highly recomend blues specials for any single coil replacement.... i have heard only very little of his humbuckers, but the little i've heard sounds great too!!!
    he really has any informative site as well

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Fralins! I have the blues specials in my '68 tele and my G&L Legacy. The tele pups are really impressive. The bridge pup is really fat and full.

9. billygoat

billygoat Member

The only thing holding me back is the lack of a chrome cover on the neck pickup...Of course that's the thing that's probably making my tele squeal. Should I just swallow my tele-vanity and do it?

10. billygoat

billygoat Member

The only thing holding me back is the lack of a chrome cover on the neck pickup...Of course that's the thing that's probably making my tele squeal. Should I just swallow my tele-vanity and do it?

11. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I put Fralins in my '89 Strat Plus Deluxe and took out the lace sensors. It's now is close in sound to my '63 Strat. Fralins are great.

Regards,

Tom

12. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Fralin Woodstock '69s are where it's at for, you know, the Jimi thing. Vintage Hots for everything else.

13. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Fralin woodstock '69s??? dont see these on the Fralin website...do you mean Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups?

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Lindy Fralin is a fine winder,but-I like the WCR Broadcaster set#1 for a Tele-bone shakin' tone staight out of 1950 with better shielding.

15. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

They've never been listed on the Fralin site, but they do exist - I have them in one of my Strats. They're similar to Vintage hots, but with enamel wire rather than formvar, and the pole pieces are reverse staggered to simulate a lefty guitar strung upside-down.

Here's a picture, and if you google them you'll find some:

[​IMG]

16. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Do it man, I didn't touch a Strat for about 5 years after I got some High Output Fralin's, without the neck pup cover.:RoCkIn

17. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

LOVE the Fralin Blues Specials in my Don Grosh Retro Classic (strat).

His humbuckers are really good too -- super fat and rich and clear, beautiful for cleans, though I like Voodoo's a little bit more for overdriven sounds.