Fralin pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Maven, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I'm getting a 94 Fender strat 1954 reissue and i'm going to see how i like the pickups. If I do change them out I'm thinking about the Fralin Vintage hots with the baseplate in the bridge. I'm also thinking about using the new Suhr backplate noise cancelling system. I'm aware that the middle pickup can't be RWRP but I'm assuming that won't be a problem. Can anyone comment on these pickups? I haven't really gotten a chance to hear the stock pickups yet so it might be a mute point if they're good pickups.

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Vintage Hots are Great Sounding Pup's. Very Chimey Top End. Really Clear and Bell like with just enough Balls to sound BIG. I also Like his Steel Pole #43 for the Bridge Position.
    I have not tried the Suhr Noise Cancelling yet, But I plan on installing that system in a Lindy Fralin equiped Strat Very soon.
    I would assume the Fralin's would be a big Improvment over Standard Stock Fender Pup's.
    The Best Modern Fender Pup's are the Mid to late 90's Custom shop Alan Hamels and Abigail Ybarra's!

3. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

100% agree with 1radicalron's comments on the VH & SP43. It's a fantastic combination. You loose a little quack in the #2 position with the SP43, but the bridge position more than makes up for it IMHO.

4. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I'm a big fan of the SP43 in the bridge. Great sounding hot p'up.

5. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

I have Fralin Blues and the Torres bluescaster wiring system in my 1994 American Standard. There was a slight improvement over the stock pickups. I like the bell like chime on clean settings. However, on overdrive settings my guitar sounds thin and week. I tried playing with pup heights, but I haven't been able to dial it in to sound good with OD. It all comes down to personal taste, but if I had it to do again, I would have gone with the steel pole in the bridge.

Good luck.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I know its a whole nother ballgame, but I'm looking at Fralins for my standard Tele. I'll gladly take suggestions.

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+1 on the SP43 for the bridge. I have one in my '57 reissue strat, the other pickups are stock. The balance is awesome! I can use all my pickups with the same amp settings, which really wasnt the case before. The bridge pickup delivers great balls and midrange and still has that strat character.

One problem though, I don't know about the body of your guitar, but the SP43 pickup is quite big and dont fit that well on the route of the '57 RI body, so it's kind of high but I dont want to re-route it.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I have a Fralin Steel Pole that I was using in my Olympic before I had it routed for a P-90. Great pickup.

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I don't know about Fralins for the Tele- but if you're after like a P-90 ish sound, check out Harmonic Design.

10. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Not to hijack but how do those Fralin's compare to the '54 Vintage Hot and steel pole ones by Harmonic Design?

11. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

There's a video on rockytopelectronics.com made by a forum member. He is using the Fralin Blues into a Rockytop 18 watt amp. Sounds really good considering that he used a video camera. He also takes you from clean to crunch.

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

My only experience is an unfair comparison. I've got a Fralin Strat style Steel Pole and my Tele is loaded with a HD Super 90. Just the construction of the pickup is different (as a Tele pickup is bigger), but the HD sounds more like a P-90 than the Fralin- higher output and a bit "bigger" sounding. The other thing that makes it an unfair comparison is that I was using the Fralin in a mahogany bodied, set neck guitar. In all honesty, I like the HD pickup more than the Fralin, but the Tele bobbin dimensions are closer to a P-90 than the Strat bobbin. The Fralin is a hell of a pickup.

13. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I've tried all of these Pickups in Telecaster Guitars.
    Basically They all Great Pickups. It really depends on What type of Sound your after.

* Harmonic Designs - tend to be more Hot Wound. With Alot of Forward Mid Range Charachter. Nice and "Full" sounding. Great for Chord Comping. You can get a great "Jazz" Sound with slight Volume roll off in the Neck Position on a Tele.

* Fralin Vintage T - Have more of a Vintage Flavor with alot of Nice "Air" to them. Great Classic Tele "Quack" and "Percussivness". Great Bluesy sound on the neck. All around Classic Vintage Tone!

* Jason Lollar 52 T style - Similar to the Fralin Vintage T. Nice Vintage Vibe Sound. Slightly Less "air" and a bit more Midrange. Seem to be in the Middle of the Others.

* Fender Custom Shop Nocaster - Very Hot with Alot of Classic Tele Attitude! The Bridge Pickup is Very Hot with Great Tele Bit with No "Ice Pick" - Another all around Great Set of T Pup's.

I would not put any of the Pickups above the Others. They are All Great!
    It really Depends more on your Guitar, and the Style of Playing you do.
    Good Luck on your Search!

14. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. fellow forum bros.]

15. KRosser

KRosser Member

You really might want to give those stock pickups a try first, no? It's not like Fender couldn't possibly know anything about pickups....

Since you asked about Fralins - they are without question my fave aftermarket Tele and Strat pickups, both vintage models or Blues Specials. That said, there's been several times I've replaced stock Fender or G&L pickups with them and ended up putting the originals back in. Not out of a sense of inferiority, but just that a good set of Fender or G&L pickups has a character all its own that I missed. I did have a Lindy Blues Special Tele & Strat pickup put in a new custom guitar by Saul Koll, and they will stay in there for the foreseeable future. So, now I have both stock G&L's and Koll/Fralins to choose from.

I don't care so much for Lindy's P-90's. I like the Unbuckers very much. Haven't tried the 'single coil in humbucker casings' yet.

I like Lindy's humbuckers but there's a more level playing field to me in comparing them to Lollars, Duncans, Gibsons, Dimarzios, Harmonic Designs, etc - from guitar to guitar I could like any one of them more than another.

16. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

I have a set of his Broadcaster Hybrid pickups in a partscaster that sound amazing. Really can't imagine another set of pickups that could sound any better in this particular guitar. I got them by sort of by accident because Angela Instruments was out of the Blues set at the time I was ordering parts.