Fralin split blade tele... other effects

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by MHermans, Feb 6, 2012.

1. MHermans

MHermans Member

This is a cover of the Lana Del Ray song "Video Games"

Fralin split blade pickups
    POG2
    rc booster
    El Capistan
    Dr. Z Maz 18

2. rks89

rks89 Member

I can tell this is the album version, not SNL. Nice work.

3. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Just noticed you list Boston as your home address Mike, and wanted to let you know how much I've appreciated listening to your demos for musictoyz.

Do you play professionally in the N.E. area?

4. MHermans

MHermans Member

I do. I usually post when my band's going to play...

Next is on March 4th at the Raven in Worcester. Some sort of Battle of the Bands...

Also sitting in with "Wu Li" at the Beehive in Boston on Friday the 17th of Feb

HaHa! I was waiting for someone to bring that up. That wasn't a great performance, but I really like her.

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

how do you like these pups vs standard Tele pups? like Fralin blues special etc.

6. MHermans

MHermans Member

The only tele pups I've ever used are Lollars. I transferred those to another tele I just bought- American deluxe tele.

I tried to like the Fender n3 noiseless that were in the Deluxe but hated them. So I put my lollars in the deluxe, and got split' for this tele. I've also tried Dimarzio and didn't like their noiseless. I've had noiseless in my strats before- didn't like 'em

The Fralins are different. They may not sound exactly like single coils, but they feel like single coils. You can hear all the string noise and nuances that I love about single coils. The are touch sensitive. I love them. I didn't feel like I was playing noiseless pups. Awesome! They are dead quiet too.

I'll try to post another video without effects. Maybe I'll go between my 2 teles.....

7. binge

binge Member

So you're popintothechemist!!!! Fantastic demos, I think your version of Springsteen's Dancing In The Dark on the Black '65 Demo for musictoyz is awesome.

8. melodiusthunk

Yeah, that one is a classic for sure; I'm thinking I need to learn it myself!

9. melodiusthunk

10. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Sounds great! I spoke with Lindy a week or so ago. I am on the list for a Kelly Pine body Tele and he mentioned the split blades as a possibility for that guitar. Do you have any idea of how the pine body would work with these PUs? I also have a MAZ 18 so this clip is a great reference for me.

Joe

11. MHermans

MHermans Member

I liked the split blades. Not familiar with Pine, so I'm not sure. They would probably sound great!

As far as noiseless go, these Fralins are wonderful.

12. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Thanks! Lindy says that he has heard that Rick's guitars are really resonant. So, he also recommended his stock Tele set, possible even going with an underwound option. I have to visit Rick again and speak with him about what he thinks.

Joe

13. MHermans

MHermans Member

I'm now using Analogman Big-T neck pickup that Fralin winds himself. Best Tele pickup I've used....Here's a clip:

14. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I did watch this video awhile back, thanks for posting it! I am friendly with Mike Piera, was just in his shop last week. So, I would love to have his Big T in my Kelly! I asked Rick about it, but he was not familiar with it.

I guess we'll see what happens. I've got a long wait for my Kelly, I'm only a month in!

Joe

15. JKjr

JKjr Member

This. I was lucky enough to spend some time with Lindy at a recent show. When he recommended the noiseless bridge for a Keef set I was skeptical until I played them. The only noiseless pickup I ever liked, and I WILL be ordering up a set.

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i played jimmy's pickup, on his '52 (┬┐yeah?) tele-; it's really beautiful.
    this fralin version sounds stunning, mh!