1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fralin Twangmaster/P92's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by muddy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. muddy

muddy Member

anyone using these, in an sg in particular? neck position especially. i did a search, but reviews are slim... please to advise.

ml

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

I put one in the neck of my Tele and absolutely love it! Lindy Fralin described it as a noiseless p-90 and I would agree whole heartedly. It has great snap and eliminated the mud associated with Tele neck pickups. I don't know how it would work in the neck of a SG, but I would expect it to excell! Mine was a P-92 and not hte Twangmaster. I liked it so much that I'm planning to do another Tele with P-92's in both the neck and bridge position with 4-way switching.

3. muddy

muddy Member

izzat it? nobody else?

ml

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I bet it sounds cool...........but if building a guitar from the ground up why not just use real P90's already? I would think the P 92's are made for guitars that are routed for Humbuckers like the SG...........

5. Roe

Roe Member

oldschool: do you like 60 cucle hum?

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Is that the only advantage? No noise is cool.........but I like authentic P90 tone. I ask becuase I have a Project tele I'm working on and I'm either going to put a real Lollar P 90 in it , or a Seymour Duncan fatcat or a Lindy Fralin in the neck.

mischultz likes this.
  7. mainsale

mainsale Member

I converted an Am. Std. Tele which is already routed for a humbucker. I love Lollar P-90's but right now, I think I like the P-92 even better. With either one you would be in a win/win situation! Make sure you use 4-way switching. It's the first time I've used it, but it won't be the last. You can see this Tele on the Fralin Website under info resources>pictures of interest. For small money I ended up with "Big Money" tone.

8. fatback

fatback Member

I just ordered a pair of black P-92 split coils for my Limba/redwood, Skyway, project strat I've got in the making. I ordered on faith, but have enjoyed many of Liny's pickups in the past. I'll be sure to post comments... in a few months.

9. Brownie

Brownie Member

I'd be curious to hear a review of the P-92 compared to the Phat Cats. I think the Phat Cats sound nice. The pair I had was very quiet as well. I'm sure potting and a metal cover helps with that. Are the P-92's potted?

10. oscar100

oscar100 Member

dont think they sound like p90s but good pickups in their own righht:argue

11. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

The two P-92 setup is exactly how I want to configure a Tele. The four way switch would give you...?
    Bridge
    Neck
    Bridge and Neck
    split Bridge and Neck

What are you considering for pot and cap values?

12. mainsale

mainsale Member

P-92's are not splittable. My 4-way switch gives me series and parallel.

[​IMG]

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

P92s are awsome. I put them in a ltd Les Paul and they sound great. They are very close to P-90's but have some of their ownd mojo going on too.

14. hism-scism

hism-scism Member

I had P92s in an early seventies SG and they sounded great. I had Lindy wind them to be fairly low output, and they really did sound a lot like a noisless P-90. They sounded very good overdriven, but what I really liked about them was the way they sounded for cleaner tones - sparkly and clear, and not nearly as compressed as a lot of humbuckers. Not muddy at all. I sold the guitar because the neck was too skinny for me and I couldn't get used to it, but I'll probably get another SG at some point and install the P92s.

15. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Doh! I have done some research and that has led me to a variety of Don Mare, Lollar pups and Fralins' P92's and Unbuckers. Thus far, the P-92's seem most intriguing to me (especially in the neck) BTW- What kind o' Tele is that? Looks like it's sporting a Gotoh HT Strat bridge?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  16. mainsale

mainsale Member

It started as an American HH Standard Tele. I added the 4-way switch, Hoveland Tonecap, P-92's, Black/red/black pickguard and Graph-tech saddles. I think it came out real good. When ever I fire it up, people take notice. the tone is that good.

[​IMG]

b80 likes this.
  17. piranhakeet

piranhakeet Member

I dropped a pair of P-92s into a Gibson Faded SG about a month ago. Wow. The guitar originally came fitted with Gibson 490 pickups, which are great, but the P-90s really bring it to life. I get better clarity and string separation, as you would expect, and unbelievable distorted sounds out of my Marshall HDFX. These pickups have hugely expanded the versatility of this guitar--sings like an angel on clean settings, screams like a demon when overdriven. Great tonal character and personality. I'll be buying more Fralins for an Ash strat project I'm doing soon--HO Humbucker in the bridge (coil-tapped of course) and a P-90 in the neck. I expect to be very pleased. Can't recommend Fralins in general highly enough--the guy definitely has something special going on here.

18. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I've got one in the neck of my Thornton. It sounds great there, warm and fat, but I have no idea how it would sound in the bridge position. Mainsale's red tele could answer that question...we need clips!

[​IMG]

John

19. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

What's the difference between the Fralin P92 and the Twangmaster? Do they have different tonal characteristics?

20. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I have a pair of P92s in my PRS Hollowbody II. I'd tried seven or eight sets in it previously, yet thought in the back of my mind the P92s would be right for it. Lindy did not steer me wrong! I wanted a cleaner neck pickup with more detail, and got it in spades. The huge bonus is the bridge pickup. I took it to a country gig the night I installed them and even my singer who's as tech savvy as a fire hydrant came up to me raving about my sound. Biggest, fattest Tele-meets-P90 sound... I got very inspired that night.
    I've not heard the Twangmasters, but they use rod magnets instead of polepiece screws, so I'd expect them to sound more in the fender camp. I bought the P92s, my first Fralins, pretty much on Lindy's reputation and so many glowing reviews. A year later I'm still loving them.