1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fralin Unbucker users, your opinion please!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by WildTop, Jun 24, 2006.

1. WildTop

WildTop Member

I'm thinking of ordering one for a strat along with two Fralin singles.
    Are they THAT good?
    Can you please describe the tone both in Humbucker mode and coil tapping?

thanks!

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The first humbucker I've really, absolutely loved. Yes, they are that good both in 'bucker mode and split. Consider ordering, as your single coils, a pair of Fralin Steel Pole 42s tapped at 6.0K ohms for both P90-ish and legit Strat tones together with your HB.

Below is my Jerrycaster, "Dark Star." 9.5K Unbucker bridge, Split Pole 42 tapped at 6.0K ohms, 8.5 Unbucker neck. This guitar ended my GAS. EOM. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. WildTop

WildTop Member

Thanks!
    (wicked axe BTW!!!)
    "Fralin Steel Pole 42s tapped at 6.0K ohms" can you please explain?

Another thing, does it sound like a PAF style HB? or is it different?

4. WildTop

WildTop Member

OK, found out about the Steel Pole 42's, but aren't they desined for the bridge position?

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

I use an Unbucker in the neck position of a Koll tele; I love it. It's used with a Blues Special Strat middle and Blues Special Tele bridge and matches real well with them.

6. Jon Silberman

7. WildTop

WildTop Member

sorry for bugging but can someone please try to describe the tone of the Unbucker?
    I would really like to know uf it's comparable to a regular PAF style HB.

thanks.

8. Jon Silberman

I'm no expert on relative HB tone (as noted earlier, this is the first one I've really liked) but pro musician John Bell, who posts here, played my Jerrycaster, called the PUPs legitimately PAF-like, and said he would be ordering a set for himself based on their tone.

Myself, what I love is how special they sound split.

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

In humbucker mode, the Unbucker is very similar to a PAF type tone - just a tad more P90-ish. IMHO that is a good thing. A bit more articulation as well as some of the other positive qualities of a single coil pickup, but clearly a humbucker all the way.

10. TIG

TIG Member

Love the unbucker in my RetroClassic..what suhr rodney said is right on, I'd say the tone in humbuker mode is clear yet complex..split, sounds very much like the blue specials that are also on my guitar...If your looking for a split humbuker....you really should give it a try!!!

11. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

An accurate description. I had a pair of these in a Baker B1 that I was forced to sell when I was out of work last year.

I *loved* these pickups. I could play all night on the neck pickup alone!

12. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I played a Grosh guitar yesterday and was impressed with the two modes of the Fralin Unbucker pickups. Split humbuckers usually sound pretty lame in the single coil mode, but the Unbucker seems to be quite usable in both without the huge volume drop when in single coil mode. The non-split mode seems to have a bit more of a P-90ish tone, which I imagine would give some extra detail to the neck pickup.

I have a Gibson R7 Les Paul and have always struggled with muddy tone from the neck pickup and thin tone from the bridge. I think its an inherent issue with the Les Paul design that makes it suitable for some people, but not for me. Has anyone tried the Unbuckers with a Les Paul? If so, was there anything about those pickups that you didn't like?

thanks for your time,
    Dave

13. Vibrolucky

Vibrolucky Supporting Member

I've got a gold set of them in my CP Thornton. They really, really, sound good. I think they are best suited towards hollowbody guitars IMHO.

The single coil neck is sweet as hell....best of all, I can blend the two singles in the middle position!

Very versitile set, I highly recommend them.

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

You haven't really described the exact sound you're looking for..
    However, Fralin has many very cool choices.
    You certainly kind find something to suit your purposes ...

& yeah, all of the Fralins are truly that good!!

15. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

What the heck is that!!!!????!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!????????????

16. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I am a user of the lindy Fralin Un-Buckers. I have several pairs in a few different Guitars.
    I have EXTENSIVLY tested Many, Many Humbuckers and find the Fralin Un-Buckers always test well, and sound great. They are also the best sounding coil- splitting Humbuckers I have heard!

In a Les Paul: Very Classic PAF Type tone, But with good amount of Clarity. The high end seems effortless, but not harsh. Volume rollback cleans up nicely as well. I reccomend a quality Cap to go with them - Try the Hovland .022 or Jensen Oil/Paper caps. Be sure to use Quality 500k pots!

In a Strat : A Don Grosh Retro Classic - I use it in the Bridge position with the Fralin Single coil Vintage Hots in neck and middle. The Un-Bucker gives a nice Full and somewhat Bright Humbucker tone, Again - Great Clarity,
    - Tone Pot can really help here. Coil splitting gives a very usable, Classic Strat bridge tone.

The only negative about the Un-Bucker: It is definitly not the quietest Humbucker out there. I would guess this is due to the fact that the coils are not evenly wound. Since 1 coil is hotter, it does have some Hum. this is a not a deal breaker by any means, but it is somewhat noticable if you are a High Gain player, or use lots of effects.

In comparrison with my other favorites, The Un-Buckers were wound a bit hotter than The Ultra Best Tom Holmes 450/455. Giving them a bit more of an aggressive/forward sound. - Although less so than the WCR Goodwoods or Filmores.
    Tone-Wise - I would compare them somewhat closly to the Harmonic Design Humbuckers. - A touch hotter than a Classic PAF - but with great clarity!

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I recently got a set of Fralin Unbuckers, 8K neck & 9K bridge, for my Les Paul Supreme (chambered body). They are fantastic in that guitar! Wonderful clarity, detail, full bodied. Beautiful cleans and OD too. Can't find anything bad about them. The hum for me is so slight, it's a non-issue. Great split tones.

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 Unbucker experiences, one listening & one playing; Jon S's Unbuckers in his Jerrycaster are superb IMO, as he said, in both humbucking and split coil positions. I LOVE the way that guitar sounds.

I also have heard Kenny Vaughn with Marty Stuart with Unbuckers in his Floyd tele and they sounded great there, too... fat and juicy, and Tele twangy.

I am sold on the Unbuckers based on hearing these 2 very different guits with them.

jc

19. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Brightness clarity and articulate definition. Fantastic in hollowbodies like my Epi Elite Broadway.

20. n8cjohn

n8cjohn Member

I have one in the bridge position of my PRS Series II - EG2. I think that it is wound at 8.75 total. It is very nice.

If you call Fralin - Lindy will spend time on the phone with you and help you pick the right combination of pickups and windings - for the exact sound that you are looking for. He is very nice and seems knowledgable to me.