Fralin Vintage Hots vs. WCR SR's ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by straticus, Apr 25, 2005.

1. straticus

straticus Member

All of the pick-up talk has me gassin' to try some different p/u's in one of my strats. I have Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot's in both of them. I love the Fralins but wouldn't mind a little more zing and definition. I'm a Hendrix freak and someone mentioned that the WCR SR p/u's are a good way to go for that.

Can anyone here compare the Fralin Vintage Hots to the WCR SR's?

BC :)

2. alderbody

alderbody Member

i haven't tried the vintage hots, but i have the SR's and i can tell you that there's a lot of Jimi in there (as Jim Wagner mentions...)

and they generally sound FANTASIC!

:AOK

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have always been a Fralin fan on the single coil stuff. Just listen to some of Tomo's clips, and you can get an idea of how great the Vintage Hots sound!

4. SLG

SLG Member

I have Fralin Vintage Hots in a couple of my Strats. My other Strats are outfitted with Rio Grande Muy Grande/Vintage Tallboy pickups. The Rio Grande Muy Grandes have more "zing" than the Fralin Vintage Hots. A great combination is a Rio Grande Stelly in the bridge, and a pair of Muy Grandes in the middle and neck position. The Stelly is a Strat version of the Muy Grande Tele pickup. I like this combination. It gives me a full pallet of sounds that I can't get from my Fralins. The Rio Grande pickups are very reasonably priced so if you are wanting to experiment they won't break the bank.

If you want to stick with Fralin pickups, the Steel Pole 42 and 43 models will move your Strat into P90 territory. I use one of the Steel Pole 43's in the bridge position while keeping the Vintage Hot middle and neck pickups.

5. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have this same set up in a Grosh strat that I just bought from a forum member. I wasn't sure about the Steel Pole 43 at first. But I think it's growing on me.

Regarding the Wagners, every time someone describes there tone they say it has that woody tone with a clear top end and that's what I'm after. Fralins, on the other hand, are usually described as being on the dark side. I've tried the Rio's and liked them but I'm really curious about the Wagner SR's. Anybody here that can muse about differences between the Fralin VH's and the Wagner SR's?

BC :)

6. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

Hi straticus,

I have the Fralin Vintage Hots in 2 Strats (including my old '64) and Wagner SR's in a third.

I've had the first set of Fralins of nearly 12 years & they are great, noticeably better than the 3 years old set, but the Wagner SR's totally smoke them both. "Woody tone with a clear top end" is a good description, but it doesn't tell you about the 'vibe' & mojo these have - they can do everything my Fralins can & then some! Far more "Fendery" than I could have imagined, the middle p'up is absolutely terrific by itself - pure early Rory Gallagher (my hero back in the early 70's!) - and I can really nail early Hendrix too. :cool:

I now have to save to replace the Fralin p'ups in the other two strats, as I've hardly touched them in the 12 months I've had the SRs. Each time I pick the guitars with the Fralins in up, I feel they are anemic-sounding and soon reach for the (cheaper) guitar with the SRs in.

I recently did a gig with each of the Fralin-equipped guitars & my band mates asked "what's the matter with your Strat?" on both occasions....! :rolleyes:

Good luck!

7. straticus

straticus Member

OUCH!:eek:

Thanks for the review. This pretty much confirms everything I've read about the SR's.

I guess I need to get me a set!

Thanks again.:dude

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

The other Guitar player in my band is STILL givin me a hard time for selling that Grosh...LOL. I told him what a new one would cost and he darn near crapped his pants!!

:dude

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

It's always difficult to recommend to pick ups to other people. Obviously these two are amongst the best in the World - but I think how you play and attack the guitar has a large bearing on whether you'll like them or not.

Personally I like the Fralin "Hot Vintage" a lot, they suit me. They are not my favourites, however, which are Chapin Black Dogs Custom Wound. If you go to www.sommatone.com and go to products there are some nice rhythmn clips of the "Roaring Twenty" amp done with a Strat with "Hot Vintage" P'ups.

Best, Pete.

10. Shemp

Shemp Member

I have two Fralinized Strats. One has a Vintage Hots neck and middle (with a Voodoo 59 bucker bridge) the other has a set of Blues with a steel pole bridge.

The Vintage hot neck pup is the single greatest SC pickup I've ever played through or heard. Just perfect for that classic early strat tone. The Blues kick it up a notch and put some hair in the tone. I run a blender pot in my 60s Relic with the Blues and SP and I get all the sizzle or warmth I need.

11. A440

A440 Supporting Member

just a note that WCR recommends using higher value pots than the std 250K used in most strats. Fralins are designed to be used with 250K.

12. muddy

muddy Member

i replaced a set of vintage hots with the sr'd, & i never lookes back! more woodiness (well, the vh's had none), better clang on the bridge while attaining bigness with pedals, the middle pup is indeed rory incarnate (da blues? you better believe!!!), and more mojo that you can shake a stick at!

ml

13. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks for the additional replies guys!

I do like the Lindy Fralin VH's. I think that if I leave the VH's in one strat and try the WCR SR's in the other I might achieve my strat tone nirvana.

14. straticus

straticus Member

Hey Luke!

Every time I play that thing I fall more in love with it. The weight and feel of the Grosh is magic ................ and that neck!:)

Also, the tone I get with the blend control on really does it for me. I never thought I'd get a tone like that from a strat. And then there's the way it looks ............................... the Tie Die finish is just plain groooovy man.:cool:

It's a keeper. Thanks again for contacting me! :dude

15. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

300's seem to be the favorites. 250's tend to choke them a little. I think Muddy uses 500's, but some find that to be a little much.

16. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

I have the 500s with my SRs too, it gives me a little more bite for when I need it, but usually the tone (& vol) controls on the Strat are set for the correct tone for "the devil's music" : - 6, 6, 6... :rolleyes:

17. straticus

straticus Member

How would it effect the tone if I put a 300K pot in with my Fralin VH's?