• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

fralin vs van zandt ?

dazco

i have a josie/vaughn in the neck of my main strat and i think i want to put a fralin in it's place. I need some help deciding whether to sell the mare and get a fralin or just put the VZ back in. The thing i like about the VZ is it's warmer with a ton of harmonics and more lows. I do like the articulate nature of the mare, but the VZ has more lows, tho a bit fuzzy compared to the mare. So i'm thinking that from what i've seen described the fralin seems to have the more articulate nature of the mare but better lows and a lot of harmionics. At least thats what i get from my overall reading of fralins over the years.

So should i sell the mare and get a fralin or should i just throw the VZ back in? i really do want to try a fralin or i may never satisfy my curiosity, but on the other hand i have lost so much on pickups and other things on my latest spree i's like to sell some things off and just pocket the cash. What doth tho say...i can't seem to decide !

bluesbreaker59

Gold Supporting Member
Van Zandt, especially if its a True Vintage neck pickup. IMHO, probably the greatest strat neck p'up tone I've ever had.

Seegs

IMO you have to scratch that itch for yourself...it's our little bit to help the economy...

IME I prefer VZ (True vintage set I had) to all the Fralins I have tried and the Rocketfire 60s to all strat pups I have tried thus far...have never tried the Mares...

Chow,
Seegs

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
i have boxes and boxes of replacement strat pickups stretching back to the early 90's. fralin, duncan, voodoo, fender, rolph, etc. about a year ago i put back in an old set of vanzandt true vintage. bingo, it was there all along.

to me, that set does the trick. then again, i lean toward the richard thompson,robbie blunt, jon hall kind of strat sound. not big on the "pushed" thing.

In Tune

Glad to see all the Love for the Van Zandt True Vintage Strat pickups....I put these in my "65 Strat back in 1994........ they have been there ever since... At that time there were not nearly as many choices...It was all for the best... these are fine Pups. :munch

dazco

Thanks all. I guess i'll stick with my VZ blues. I have a bunch of them so i may unwind one till i get the true vintage reading. Anyone know the resistance for a true vintage? Bob...yeah, i'll sell it, but it won't be available till i get the new body thats on it's way. i don't want to tear it down now or i'll be w/o my main. Tho the body SHOULD be here any day. But no, i don't have the middle p/u. PM me.

macatt

Love my Van Zandt blues pickups in the middle and neck positions. They replaced the Fralins I was using.

S Mac

jzgtrguy

I've never owned a Fralin but I did VZ Rock pickups in a Nash Strat I used to own and they were just too hot. If you want a more strat like sound I would suggest a lighter less powerful wind.

dazco

I've never owned a Fralin but I did VZ Rock pickups in a Nash Strat I used to own and they were just too hot. If you want a more strat like sound I would suggest a lighter less powerful wind.
I already do. I have about 8 van zandts with the lowest being 5.8K. None are high as the rock model. i don't like way overwound SC's.