Frampton Comes Alive tone?

glenecho

Anybody have any details about Peter Frampton's mid-70's tone or even more specifically his setup heard on Frampton Comes Alive. I'm pretty sure we're talking Marshall's and a Leslie (not to mention the Talk Box)...but was wondering if anyone had more insight?

dave s

Don't know all the specifics, but I saw him play 3 summers ago and he was using Marshall DSL heads and 412 cabs. He opened the show with the first 20 minutes of Frampton comes alive. The guitar tones were exact.

This leads me to believe it was more about Peter Frampton and his playing than about the amps.

dave

JDW3

He used an Ampeg Echo twin and a 100 w Marshall Super Lead.

What I want to know is, what parts of the songs did he switch amps? Like the intro to Do You feel, is it ampeg or Marshall? The solo sounds like cranked Marshall.

Iceman8.6

What I want to know is, what parts of the songs did he switch amps? Like the intro to Do You feel, is it ampeg or Marshall? The solo sounds like cranked Marshall.
Yep. I think Frampton himself said a mid sixties Ampeg Echo Twin was used on about half of Comes Alive. He had the Marshalls towers for effect but the Ampeg was the secret sauce that really made that recording sound like it does.

guitardr

My age is tellin' on me...
LP '60 Black Beauty / 3 - PAF's
Marshall stacks
Heil talk box (I think)
Leslie 925's (the more modern two-piece/black & gray ones)
You might want to borrow his hands too.

mcuguitar

Gold Supporting Member
I read somewhere that Peter Frampton was on tour in South America, and a plane crashed with his gear on it. Does anyone know the specifics about that incident?

Iceman8.6

I read somewhere that Peter Frampton was on tour in South America, and a plane crashed with his gear on it. Does anyone know the specifics about that incident?
Good thing he wasn't on it....we've lost enuf good musicians to plane crashes....Rhodes, Skynyrd, SRV and others I'm sure.

I can say that I have heard a guy with a WCR Darkburst in the bridge on a GC 60 RI Les Paul,get as close as I have ever heard,anyone get since that record was cut.Yes he used the talkbox,yes,he used the leslie.But it sounds nutz on.

He used the Ampeg all the time.

StoneAge Cabs

Gold Supporting Member
Like many great players with distinctive styles...much of that killer tone is in the hands. I'm not much in the know regarding the gear he used at the time, but wasn't the LP one with an ebony fretboard??

Trending Topics