1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Framptone vs. Switchazel vs. Kendrick ABC

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by suhr_rodney, Jul 11, 2006.

1. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Which of these amp switchers do you prefer and why? Sound quality is most important to me, so although the added features of the Divided by 13 Switchazel are cool, I would gladly give them up for better tone. I like the idea of the Kendrick ABC because I could use both channels of my Supreme Sixteen and my Rambler instantly, but I've always heard the Framptone is the one to buy. Comments?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Don't forget this one:
    [​IMG]
    Or you could have WOBO make you a custom one, here's the one they made for me on one of my boards:
    [​IMG]

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I've heard the Framptone as well. Because I couldn't find one I settled for the George Lynch Tripler by Morely. I do like three outputs so I can use one for my tuner taking it out of my signal chain. It does the job. I would agree with you in that the Framptone is the one. Honestly, I use a JCM800 2203x with a Fulltone OCD and a Soldano Avenger, and I tend to prefer using them alone not two at a time.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

do you need to drive 2 or 3 amps?

the kendrick doesn't have any isolation, so if you get ground hum, that's what you get, and i don't think it's a great practice to cheat the grounds of your amps. plus, i think the kendrick is quite colored. kind of brittle sounding. i had one for years and didn't really know any better. so i'd recommend against that one.

i only needed to drive 2 amps so i got a switchbone and couldn't be happier. it has isolation on one out and a ground lift, the drag control, and very neutral preamp and boost. it's a workhorse and hasn't disappointed me. the lehle is also terrific, but just has far fewer features. can't comment on framptone or switchhazel.

cornish has a nice expensive 3-out one that probably is killer.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got DOD (don't bother), Black Cat (6outs but they're not switched, op-amp isolation), Kendrick (AC power, huge, op-amp isolation IIRC which isn't as effective as transformers), Tonebone (really decent isolation, plus the drag and boost). However, the cheapest solution is an Ebtech humm eliminator (transformer isolation with no active circuitry) used in conjuction with a much smaller/cheaper pedal.

6. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

I personally like the Switchhazel the best of them. I've had the Framptone as well. I like that the switches on the D13 actually "click" like normal true bypass switches (not through the amp of course) rather than the soft switches that the Framptone has. Also the "lift" feature of the Switchazel is killer for boosts. Soundwise they are very simliar. both are non coloring units. To be honest soundwise they are both killer.

7. shakti

shakti Member

Well, I've had the Kendrick for 6 years, and it has never failed me. The ability to mix any outputs at will is great, but to be honest I haven't used that feature much. Live, that would probably be overkill (except for those moments when you *want* that complete overkill). The drawbacks, as you know, are the hardwired AC cord (would definitely prefer DC operation), huge size (although if you want three independently switchable outs, you already need a bit of real estate to switch comfortably) and no transformer isolation. It is buffered, which messes with any old-school fuzzes running after it (I run mine before, so no problem there). It works great as a line driver, though. I haven't really noticed that much colouration with it, but now that people have mentioned it, I will obviously go nuts thinking that there might be a better solution out there...jeez, does it ever end??? I've had it for so long that I've never thought about that.

Landru64, are you sure the colouration you hear is not simply the line driving aspect, which would lead to a perceived treble boost compared to going direct through a long cable?

8. landru64

landru64 Member

yes, i'm positive. i have had the lehle and radial, and kept the radial (only because of the polarity thing...)

the kendrick failed me in the sense that on THE two occasions i used it before i sold it, it was unable to deal with the ground loops i was getting from using multiple amps. one was a live gig and another was a studio recording. the lehle and radial solved the problem immediately and were far more neutral tonally. not that i love any buffers a whole lot, but the kendrick was not even close to neutral. my two cents.....

9. shakti

shakti Member

Damn, now you've given me yet another headache!! ;-) I guess I should learn to be happy with what I have and not try to fix something that isn't broke, but you know...I've never had any ground loop trouble with the amps I've used except a Boogie Mk I RI. Solved that with an Ebtech Hum Eliminator.

Can't find any good info on the Cornish one - anyone have more info? Size/shape is crucial, I guess...got my board too figured out now to do any major changes. I really need 3 channels.

10. landru64

landru64 Member

haha... but you're right- if it ain't broke...

if you need to drive 3, then i'd do the framptone.... the cornish will take forever to get, is big, and very pricey.

11. shakti

shakti Member

Is the Cornish bigger than the Kendrick? The big problem with most of these is that they're too wide. I've built the board around the Kendrick, but there's a E-H DMM right next to it, taking up the full depth...

I thought the Framptone was only 2-way? I'll need to check it out again.

12. shakti

shakti Member

OK, I see there's now a 3-way Framptone. Looks cool, like the ground lift switches for each amp too, plus the phase reversal. Two of the channels I use are Super Reverb normal and vibrato channels, so combining those would need a phase reversal. That's not really something I tend to do, though...

However, it certainly looks like it's too wide for my purposes...
    How about the Cornish?

13. landru64

landru64 Member

cornish actually has three things that might work, with varying levels of features. i'd write him and ask him to send info. too bad his website actually has less info now than it did before!!

14. shakti

shakti Member

Anyone else with experience with these different switchers, please chime in!

Does anyone have the Framptone 3-banger? I read a review at H-C which says it has a mute toggle, is that true? One of the things I really like with the Kendrick is the ability to switch off all outputs, so I can unplug the guitar without any noise.