Framus Ruby Riot II incoming......anyone give me a heads up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sixstring531, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Just acquired (well, technically not yet) a Framus Ruby Riot II via a trade here (thanks friend) and am wanting to know what I can expect?

Anyone have experience with these guys? I am looking for that AC30/Matchless feel and I've been told this amp can do those well. I will be throwing a blue and silver alnico into when I get it because I love those speakers.

Anyone?

2. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

I've had an original Ruby Riot for quite a few years. Play it with the stock speakers first. The combo of V30 and Greenback is a great match... uh... maybe thats part of why it has the Matchless vibe, too??? I think that's one of the good features of that amp.

3. sixstring531

Well, I told the guy just to keep the speakers, makes shipping easier on both of us.

4. sixstring531

anyone else? These guys seems to fly WAY under the radar -- that or their starting price is a little too hefty and John Mayor doesn't use it.

5. toneispower

toneispower Member

haha! I ran across these amps not to long ago. I have looked EVERYWHERE for clips and info but I can never find it. Someone please chime in!!! -kyle

6. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

The original(Ruby Riot I) combo could do 80's shred leads or spanky, clean Vox tones. The Ruby Riot II, while cleaner, has less gain. The RR 1 occasionally turns up used and is a steal for under $1400.

7. sixstring531

I've seen the II going for over $3k new (crazy) and am glad it has lower gain than #1. I am looking for an AC30esque amp, so I hope this gets me in the range.

8. paulscape

paulscape Member

One of my local shops has one and I've used it a fair bit in testing guitars. Great amp! I have come close to buying it. The tones are thick and aesthetically it's a good looking understated amp. With a jazzmaster '62 RI volume pulled back on medium gain was very sweet. It felt a little warmer and refined than an AC30 - maybe old AC's are less compressed? Enjoy!

9. sixstring531

We'll see.....this will be interesting. The Framus is definitely a horse of different color and I am hoping it will be usable for me. If not, I am sure someone here will take it off my hands :) (but I'll make sure to give it plenty of time)

10. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Four years ago when I was on an 84 kick I owned a Ruby riot 2,not bad but not that memberable.If I was looking for 30 watt el84 based combo I would have to go with a Gibson super goldtone,that's one I wish I didn't sell,beautiful cleans and overdrive that was Marshallesque.....

11. musicman13

musicman13 Member

[​IMG]

PM'd a return to your question. Had a 1, and now have a 2. Can't see much of a gain drop, but more usable top end gain. That being said, more note distinction. By far, the best amp I have ever owned, and I have owned plenty in over 25 years. If you can think of a Vox, but a much "Thicker" tone. Using the existing Greenback, and V 30, and adding a 2x12, or 4x12 to the existing speaker out is pure sunshine. I have seen many $ 3000 amps, that don't hold a candle to this one. One amp I will NEVER get rid of. A few of my amps over the years in my refs below. I Try not to buy junk(have had some though!)Give this one some time. To many tones to make a quick judgement!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

like i always say
    Just listen to Toad the wet sprockets "Dulcinea" album and that is a RR.

I think they sound wonderful in that album, you can also check out Magicamps, those are great too.

I have found the RR used for 900-ish to 1000 dollars.
    I think they sound wonderful in that album, you can also check out Magicamps, those are great too

13. toneman31

toneman31 Member

I have a framus ruby riot brand new used twice if anyone is interested still has warranty and all its black for 1800 cash let me know at smeremcdonald56@aol.com I own a store in Ohio just let me know thanx

14. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

zombie thread got spammed