France to force big supermarkets to give unsold food to charities

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tylenol Jones, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

shane88 likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Many stores and restaurants would do that here voluntarily if health laws permitted it and they couldn't be sued for it.

3. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Yeah, we'd also need to copy the French legal system for this to work here.

Maybe if lawyers here could "donate" their free time to defending supermarkets from lawsuits.

4. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

From the linked article:

I predict a rash of 399 sq m supermarkets being built and stores currently just over that limit to do something to decrease their footprint.

5. bushitsuki

bushitsuki Member

Most of the stores in my area, (Publix, Wal-Mart, BJ's, Costco, Sams, and others) do this voluntarily.
    It is a truly great thing to see how many people they help.

rsm likes this.
  6. highrise

highrise Member

No no no.

Big retailers are the devil. Didn't you get the memo? They've never done anything good for society. They only take.

fyi...the "Gorilla's backyard" is Bentonville Arkansas. haha

;)

7. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Good for France...

Charity has the power to transform the giver and the receiver. Forcing it reduces or eliminates that power altogether. You don't help people by giving them stuff or even by making them give out of their abundance, but by challenging them to be better.

eflatminor likes this.
  8. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

^ Exactly. Children who go to bed hungry each night need to be taught a valuable lesson about their own laziness.

9. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

How dare the French government develop a way to help the common good? Food ought to rot and people should starve before any law requires that any person or corporation help out. But please do not mention my use of roads, infrastructure, reliance on regulations to keep me safe and other government mandated programs of which I am a beneficiary. I am a deserving recipient, because I have declared myself to be. Those hungry folks are lazy and stop sending them lawsuit material to get rich.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. Jay K

Jay K Member

I often stay at hotels in Indonesia and Thailand and have been rather uncomfortable that food they have available in their executive lounges is thrown out if not eaten by the guests. It really is quite a lot of food, and in those countries there are many poor people who could benefit from such leftovers.

The fact is there are also hungry people in the United States and I have the same general feelings about unnecessarily wasted food here. It is true that at least here one of the reasons some hotels or supermarkets might hesitate at giving to charity food that otherwise would be thrown out is legal liability. But if we were to pass a law similar to that passed in France, it would almost certainly protect those who gave away the food from legal liability (probably except in extreme circumstances which would be easy to avoid).

So although we can talk here about how potential legal liability potentially gets in the way of such charitable giving, there are potential solutions to this, solutions that almost certainly would accompany any legal requirement that food that otherwise would be wasted be donated.

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I love it. Plain and simple.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I wonder how many people who support laws like this actually give a cent to local kitchens? It's always easier to make it "somebody else's problem" and then jump onto Facebook to show how righteous you are for "supporting" the efforts.

There are a lot of ways to incentivize donating food without writing (and enforcing) new regulations. Maybe the problem isn't the supermarkets.

The article title is also misleading. Any store over 4305 sq. feet. falls under the regulation. How is that "big supermarkets?" What about additional staffing or processes required to package and transport food that falls under scope? A lot of small supermarkets this size are struggling as it is, and now they will be facing a new compliance burden and added expenses. Of course, modern click-bait journalists would actually have to expend a bit of effort to actually get some logistics information to provide an objective view. Ew....that might be work.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Minte and rsm like this.
  13. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you have more than you need share the abundance, what a wonderful idea.

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

In America this would end up getting the corporation sued. Nice to be charitable but do it because you want to, not because you have to.

Forced giving isn't charity, it's extortion.

ACfixer likes this.
  15. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Well it's worth a shot - there is something deeply wrong about living in a part of the world where tons of food is thrown out despite people going hungry.

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

17. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

If France needs a law like this it really speaks to the general feeling towards charity that the French public must already have, because around here nobody goes hungry. We have shelters, food kitchens and churches that see to it and places like Panera, Albertsons, and several others already donate out of code food voluntarily. Not to mention pretty much anyone can get food stamps.

Being "forced" to do anything and calling it charity is absurd.

18. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Sounds like an alibi to avoid helping those in need.

talentless hack and Average Joe like this.
  19. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

If no one was going hungry in America, we would not have food banks.

Mainstream America sadly wastes food and resources without a second thought.

talentless hack and Bradleyonmic like this.
  20. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

This thread has legs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.