Frank Zappa - Philly '76 - Shipped!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kappy, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Kappy

Kappy Member

2. lhallam

lhallam Member

Couldn't tell what tunes are on it.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Me neither. I'll bet they have them on the Zappa.com forum. I was too lazy to go find. If it has Terry and Patrick O'Hearn, I'm getting it sight unseen. I'm guessing it'll be heavy Zoot and maybe some non-Beefheart Bongo Fury material (with shades of the Zappa in New York, hopefully).

It's probably out in the bootlegs already too, but I don't listen to Zappa bootlegs much. He made me a sound quality snob way back when.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Arrived today. Tracklist:

CD1:
    1. The Purple Lagoon
    2. Stink-Foot
    3. The Poodle Lecture
    4. Dirty Love
    5. Wind Up Workin' in a Gas Station
    6. Tryin' to Grow a Chin
    7. The Torture Never Stops
    8. City of Tiny Lights
    9. You Didn't Try to Call Me
    10. Manx Needs Women
    11 Chrissy Puked Twice

CD2:
    1. Black Napkins
    2. Advance Romance
    3. Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me?
    4. Rudy Want to Buy Yez a Drink
    5. Would You Go All the Way?
    6. Daddy, Daddy, Daddy
    7. What Kind of Girl Do You Think We Are?
    8. Dinah-Moe Humm
    9. Stranded in the Jungle
    10. Find Her Finer
    11. Camarillo Brillo
    12. Muffin Man

Not bad! Am going to listen to it now....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Please post back on how it is.

6. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

My guess would be...AMAZING! One of the best lineups and a fantastic setlist. But yes, dkaplowitz, please report back with a review (I'm having a hard time waiting this one out).:)

7. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I would think it would be George Duke and Napoleon Murphy Brock.

8. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I said ONE of the best. The lineup with Duke and Brock would be the best IMO.

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

I wrote a brief, first impressions, blog post about it after the first listen:

http://www.dkap.info/blog/?p=226

I'm not a very good reviewer, but I wanted to get some thoughts down about it since the releases are so few and far between.

O yeah, and I had a typo in my original track list, track 8, CD2 was missing (Daddy, Daddy, Daddy). I've corrected that above.

Dave

10. lhallam

lhallam Member

Thanks D. Nice review.

I liked your comment about "psuedo FZ lingo", that I can also do without. Perfect.

ZFT doesn't get a lot of my admiration it certain regards.

I'm on the fence these days concerning buying Frank A.D. releases.

You really have to wonder how much and what kind of material Frank would have put out these past 16 yrs.

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

Thanks, Lance. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that frustration with them. I buy the releases because I support almost anything with Frank's music. I always have qualms about supporting the ZFT though, esp. after they tried to crush the fan band Project/Object when the ZPZ touring started. (O yeah, and when they stopped selling the scores to Frank's music).

I can only imagine the kinda' stuff Frank would be doing were he still alive. Civilization Phase III is something I still have yet to digest as a fan and as an earthling. I'm sure being faced with his mortality had a big part in how intense that music is. Either way, I'd be happy if he was still alive. And we (collectively) need him more now than ever.

12. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

FZ stands out to me as a great American composer and player, so much so that I chose him as the best in the recent TGP's Best American Band thread. I first saw Frank at 14yo in 1973, and several times thereafter. I will most likely buy this release, but I too am somewhat on the fence of buying music released by Frank AD.

13. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I didn't know this was out, I went ahead and placed an order for it. I agree with you guys about the ZFT and how they've handled Frank's legacy but these live shows they've put out are really great except they're way over priced. Looking forward to getting this release. It's an unusual lineup that I haven't heard much of.

14. Kappy

Kappy Member

I understand the misgiving about posthumous FZ releases. There has been some good stuff though. "Imaginary Diseases" is a really terrific release. And though I personally find the concert stuff they've released hot and cold (mostly because we were so spoiled by Frank cherry-picking the best performances of some of the best material for so long when he was alive), there are some really great moments on those disks. FWIW, I have a hard time imagining anyone really hating the "Buffalo" release, or the "Halloween" '81 DVD audio one.

Overpriced indeed!

15. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I remember when Frank was alive and they(Barfko-Swill) had actual mail-order catalogs.
    I believe the complete Baby Snakes on VHS was around $80 then. :hide

I'm looking forward to getting the new Philly '76. I was just waiting till after Christmas to order it.