Frank Zappa. Shut Up and Play Your Guitar

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by zosozep7, Feb 28, 2009.

1. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Anyone have this 3 cd set? The 3 disc set is a compilation of all Franks guitar work melded into one long song. I inherited the box set when my Uncle passed away. I was totally blown away when I listened to it. Thats some incredible guitar playing! I never realized how good Frank was on guitar.

2. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Essential and amazing. The way he 'floats' rhythmically on top of the solid grooves of the rhythm section is so unique and fun- always my favorite part of his shows (I musta been to 6 or so from '77-'88).

However, it's not at all 'all of his work melded into one song', it's a collection of live solos from the late 70's/early 80's with a few studio jams thrown in. All his (soloing) guitar work in one song would take about 25 CDs! There are a lot of great things to hear in his music, some of my other favorites are:

We're Only In It For the Money
    Fillmore East 1971
    Apostrophe/One Size Fits All
    LiVe in NY
    You Cant Do That On Stage Anymore (especially the Helsinki Concert)
    Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch
    Yellow Shark

and lots of individual instrumentals from otherwise vocal oriented albums- "Envelopes", "Moggio", "Sinister Footwear:. "He Used to Cut The Grass" (Actually most of Joe's Garage is great too)... There are something like 50 official recordings of his music, so you can unearth a lot of great stuff.

Steve Vai transcribed a lot of SUAPYG era solos in "The Frank Zappa Guitar Book'. Read it and weep!!! :rimshot

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

Frank is one of the greatest gtrists ever IMO. Always inventive and interesting.

It's funny to me that I know some guys that the only Zappa they have is the Shut Up And Play release.

4. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

In the rock world the word genius seems to be used far to often and far too easily. In my opinion Frank Zappa is one of the few who truly deserves the description.

5. alpep

alpep Member

Frank was a great guitar player. he does not get the credit he deserves

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

It's all late 70's as it was released in 79. The solos on Guitar are all early 80's.

Any list of great Zappa records (w/great FZ solos) has to include Roxy & Elsewhere.

Go forth and listen to Zappa Zosozep7 - you're journey has just begun.

7. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

love Zappa, my favorite records of his are from the 'you can't do that on stage anymore' volumes.. I enjoy his studio LPs but they just lack something that I can't put my finger on compared to the live feeling.

8. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Actually, SUAPYG was released in May 1982 according to most sources. It does include some November 1980 solos, according to the liner notes.

Earliest possible release date is 1981, not 1979.

"Guitar" came out in 1988 and covers '81-'82 and '84.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

My Father broke me into Zappa by giving this to me when I was sixteen. I spent the whole summer listening in awe.....

The Deathless Horsie is still my favorite...

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

Frank Zappa is one of my favorite guitarists and a huge influence.

The three SUAPYG records were originally sold mail-order only on vinyl and the instructions for that first appeared on the LP sleeves of "Tinseltown Rebellion" in 1981. I remember getting mine and being so thrilled, as the guitar solos were always my favorite parts of the Zappa records...

11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

:jo I stand corrected, that's what happens when I don't look things up!

12. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Wow! Alot of feedback here! Glad to hear so many thoughts. I will definetly look intpo more Zappa. I heard Dweezils Zappa does Zappa was an incredible show? I hope he comes around again this Summer.

13. lhallam

lhallam Member

It's as close as you're going to get to the real thing. Highly recommended.

BTW - If you're enjoying SUAPYG check out "Hot Rats" and/or "Roxy and Elsewhere".

14. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Fan-damn-tastic album. My friend introduced me to Zappa when I heard about Steve Vai and I asked around music stores and forums for any Zappa stuff that would blow me away. Almost every time that anyone knowledgeable gave me an answer, they said "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar."

15. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Happens to me too!

16. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I still laugh with joy every time i hear The Deathless Horsie and know that Vai doubled it perfectly for the album. (Same for Sinister Footwear 3 off of You Are What You Is)

Although the bulk of my favorite FZ solos come from performances of Drowning Witch, his late 70's excursions (especially the ones pulled from Inca Roads) are filled with moments brilliance and beauty.
    And i believe that Stucco Homes should be essential listening for any guitarist.

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

Dude! I happen to believe "Drowning Witch" is the great sleeper FZ guitar record...all the guitar on that is just completely stellar - that solo at the end of "I Come From Nowhere"? Forget it...

18. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Never actually heard 'Witch'. Gonna remedy that now.

19. Alligator > jam

Alligator > jam Member

20. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I actually meant the solos from live performances of the tune, although the two solos on the album version are incredible as well. My all-time favorite is "St Etienne" which wound up on the Jazz From Hell album. But there are quite a few on the Guitar album that were pulled from Drowning Witch live performances that are also amazing.