Frank Zappa's burnt Jimi Hendrix strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimtek, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jimtek

jimtek Member

I saw Frank Zappa's strat on the cover of Guitar Player magazine along time ago and read the stories that he got at the 1968 Miami pop festival from one of Jimi Hendrix's roadies. I've also seen the video where Dwezil Zappa talks about the strat and how he found it in his dad's studio and had it restored. The strat wasn't set on fire at the Miami pop festival, I've seen videos where Jimi is palying a white strat with a rosewood fretboard. And it wasn't the strat Jimi set on fire in England or Montery pop festival. The second day of the Miami pop festival was rained out and some of the musicians took refuge at the Castaway hotel and they had a huge jam session that night in the bar. In a book on Hendrix there's pictures of the May 10th 1968 Filmore East concert where Hendrix is smashing a pre cbs sunburst strat with a rosewood fretboard. In the last picture the strats body and neck have broken apart.

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Seems to remember there was a debate over if it was really what FZ said it was IIRC. Funny he kept it, I was listening to the winterland concerts and an interview with Jimi. He was pissed when they brought up Zappa saying Jimi was just doing Johnny guitar Watson stick. Hendrix makes a few cutting remarks about Frank setting himself up as the expert on everything. Werid because Hendrix never seemed to be directly critical other players, he made a joke or well yeah to avoid saying something , rare to hear him speak his mind.

3. jimtek

jimtek Member

In the original photos the guitar has black plastic pickup covers that are blistered and bubbled. Zappa said Howard Parker or "H" gave it to him when he stayed with him for awhile. Another website said the strat was the one burnt at the Astoria concert in England but that strat turned up later and has since been sold at auction.

4. sumlin

sumlin Member

There was some debate about that one IIRC.

5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

There still is, apparently.

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

7. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I love baseball, and always have. When I went to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, there were a lot of balls and bats on display. Including many, many iconic ones. The thing that struck me was that the Hall of Fame was just a building with a bunch of balls, bats, gloves, and uniform parts. In and of themselves these objects held no magic. I realized that the magic was in that moment of those historic plays and not in the small fetishes on display.
    So it is with guitars, this "historic" Stratocaster holds no magic of its own, and neither does any other "iconic" guitar. The magic was in the hands, hearts, and souls that played them. Enjoy looking at them it you like, it hurts nobody. As for me, I'd rather listen to a Hendrix recording than look at his guitar.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Pedal Dan and Stubee like this.
  8. NewbyRock023

NewbyRock023 Member

I do agree to a point. That point being that there is arguably something special about certain instruments from the era. Now that's all subjective being it's based on the opinion of sound, but there you have it. Now, being that its HENDRIX we are talking about, anything he put his hands on would be the greatest thing ever touched, and so would be the gospel of what is considered the standard. It's the age old argument, if Hendrix played a daisy rock, well, where would we be.

9. jimtek

jimtek Member

10. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

11. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

there is also this:
    http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/articles/1963213

GW had an article about fender recreating the hendrix/zappa strat, i remember the article said they had to do some guesses based on pictures from the 70s on certain things.

always thought it was a cool guitar. i'm sure the true history of this guitar will never really be known, since it was buried in zappa storage for yrs....

12. VH5150

VH5150 Member

[​IMG]

13. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

Could have been one hendrix set on fire during a sound check. I doubt that Zappa would lie about where it came from.

14. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Dweezil has tried to auction that one before and it did
    not get any bids.

The dealer community does not seem to agree that it
    is actually from Hendrix.

If its "provenance" could be proven, it would sell for a
    huge amount (I think a Hendrix roadie sort of disavowed
    its authenticity.)

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I agree.

16. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

another thread i started about the hendrix/fz strat a while back:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1033053&highlight=dweezil+zappa

i had not heard anything about the authenticity of the hendrix/fz strat...interesting....but as i stated, when FZ says it was lost for a long time, and found under the stairs in storage....i suppose that opens up a lot of questions...the one thing i will say tho...when you're talking the late 60s, who else besides hendrix was burning strats? i just can't imagine a lot of folks doing this?

it is a cool guitar....

17. jimtek

jimtek Member

How many strats did Hendrix play that had black pickup covers? Guitars Jimi burnt Astoria and Monterey pop, Guitars smashed two bodies at the Jimi Hendrix museum in Seattle, on is from the Montorey pop, both have similar psychodelic paint jobs. The Filmore east smashed strat was a sunburst. Frank Zappa's strat may have been built from parts from any of these guitars, and any that he smashed or broke, except the Astoria which was found and was original.

18. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

i had forgot about this incarnation of the hendrix/fz strat, w/ hb'ers:
    [​IMG]

19. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

and trying to find images of the hendrix strat, turned this up:
    [​IMG]
    i have no idea the truthfulness of this...just thought the caption was interesting....

20. jimtek

jimtek Member

Hendrix had around 10 sunburst strats and also smashed one in Feburary of 1969 at the Royal Albert hall and a piece of it was at the Jimi Hendrix museum.