Frantone Cream Puff - yeah?

ryandfl

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for community input.

Is the Frantone Cream Puff great?

I'm shooting for a huge sound that is still articulate. The demos seem to vouche for that but I'm hoping to hear a few words here.

I have the excellent Sunface ti/uk and astrotone for dirt now and love them (particularly the Sunface). Such a solid rock sound.

But I'm looking for something more over the top, wall of sound. But I don't want leads to be all mush!

Cheers

Killshakes

I think there are lots of options that can get you the sound you're looking for, many of them Muff variants (the Cream Puff being one). I haven't gotten to try the Cream Puff, mostly because of it's size and price.

The Buffalo Patriot or M1 are muff variants and fit the "huge sound but still articulate" description if Fran's pedals aren't quite enough for you. I finally received my M1 and am *very* impressed by it.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
Disclaimer: I have a vintage unit, and have not tried the reissue.

My Cream Puff is super scooped, and is as articulate as a high-gain, mid-scooped pedal is likely to get. It's a great pedal, if you want that more modern-sounding distortion/fuzz. It can be a little hard to stand out in the mix.

musicman10_1

Silver Supporting Member
I want one too. I've watched the videos and it seems like a great rhythm stye of pedal or one for basic runs and fills. I'm not sure that I would bank on it being super articulate for complex leads. I don't have one and so I could be totally wrong.

chankgeez

Disclaimer: I have a vintage unit, and have not tried the reissue.

My Cream Puff is super scooped, and is as articulate as a high-gain, mid-scooped pedal is likely to get. It's a great pedal, if you want that more modern-sounding distortion/fuzz. It can be a little hard to stand out in the mix.

Same, mine's an older one.

Good description. :aok

I want one too. I've watched the videos and it seems like a great rhythm stye of pedal or one for basic runs and fills. I'm not sure that I would bank on it being super articulate for complex leads. I don't have one and so I could be totally wrong.

Nice assessment. Definitely better for rhythm stuff or riffage.

Sounds like a Big Muff... but costs a lot more than a Big Muff.

:dunno It's especially fabulous sounding. And it's not too often you see an extremely pink Muff like that. ;) Totally worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

ryandfl

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah it seems a little unique in the muff world.

When I say articulate, I don't mean...super articulate. I mean "doesn't do that fatty farty sound on single notes like some muffs". Know what I mean? Some people pull it off, but I don't want that saturated fat is cligging my tubes sound, just big and wallish and textured.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I would describe it as a "sharp" muff, more like if a muff had been deigned and overbuilt by Mesa Boogie than EHX. Lots of gain too. The sounds it makes are completely in contrast to the cutesy pink graphics, it will tear your hear off and kill small woodland creatures at 30 paces!

I had one when the were first in production and I finally picked one up again just before they were reissued. I also picked up a Peachfuzz around the same time and I have to say, it's even more amazing!

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
And it's not too often you see an extremely pink Muff like that. ;) Totally worth the extra cost.

nqimbnqk7bnokcrr027y.jpg

(And it sounds great, too! Possibly pink makes muffs sound better. More research required...)

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard good things about those Beavers.

They are excellent, and because it has three transistors, with relatively extensive control parameters for each, and because it has some very interesting eq options, the Royal Beaver can do quite a bit. I'm not sure that it's the most versatile muff available, but it's very versatile nonetheless.

I think I got to go for it. Wish they were cheaper!

I'd like those Frantone pedals myself, because they sound great!

Now, I don't know how experienced you are with muffs and fuzzes in general, but if you're not very, then you need to know that that huge bottom end that these pedals have can be very, very difficult to integrate into a band setting. And sounds that are simply awe-inspiring when you are playing on your own can and often are completely unusable as soon as you add other instruments / other musicians.

So you need to keep in mind that these pedals do not always play nice with others. And if spending the money on these fairly pricey pedals is an effort, you run the risk of being very disappointed.

chankgeez

Now, I don't know how experienced you are with muffs and fuzzes in general, but if you're not very, then you need to know that that huge bottom end that these pedals have can be very, very difficult to integrate into a band setting. And sounds that are simply awe-inspiring when you are playing on your own can and often are completely unusable as soon as you add other instruments / other musicians.

This, unfortunately, is very true.

The Cream Puff has a massively huge bottom end. It'll definitely work in some playing situations better than others.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, baby got back ;)

They are kind of expensive but they are superbly well built and Fran is an excellent electrical designer and engineer. She designed the Big Muff NYC RI for EHX when they released it in the late 90's /early 00's. Fran knows her ish, top to bottom.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
Fran's The Sweet is a Muff variant that sounds a little more like a classic muff (think David Gilmour) and is less scooped. It also has less boomy bottom end and will thus sit a little more prominently in the mix. It will sound less epic in your bedroom but better on stage.

I collect Frantone pedals because of their quality and aesthetic, and currently have three The Sweets. It's one of my favorite circuits. Hit me up if you decide you want to get one and are having trouble finding a good deal. I would likely be willing to part with one at a good price for a fellow TGPer.

Other Frantone pedals I currently have and can recommend/describe:
Brooklyn
Sandwich
Cream Puff
Hep Cat
Peach Fuzz
Bassweet

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
I agree on what all the others have said above regarding the Cream Puff, that it sounds excellent and has a lot of bottom end that either may or not work for you depending on your band situation. Sounds killer by yourself at home or in the studio, but may not have the EQ shape you need to sit in the band mix real well without getting lost; but that completely depends on several factors, including your equipment, other pedals being used simultaneously, the type of music you play, etc.

Going off of memory (as I sold my Cream Puff and The Sweet a couple years ago), the Cream Puff produced a bigger wall of sound versus The Sweet, but I think I recall The Sweet cutting through the band mix better when playing with the group. Liked both pedals a lot and would have kept them if I wasn't raising money for bigger purchases at the time.

Frantone has been one of my favorite pedal builders for a long time and I'm very glad she is back at it! For a while back in the day, I was trying to buy every model she made because I liked every one I tried so much. It became an expensive venture once she started closing up shop and the prices starting going up though.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe the OP would be better off getting an EHX Big Muff Deluxe; which is very reasonably priced and has some outstanding tone-shaping capabilities.

Depending on his needs and his budget, he could even look into an EHX Big Muff Nano, which represents an incredible value for what it costs.

After all, not everyone really needs these very pricey Big Muff-based pedals - especially if they are just starting to use Big Muff-type pedals. If he had already tried the standards and found them inadequate, then he might have more reason to look at the boutique stuff.

I'm going to link this video; I've put this link in other threads and I'm a-gonna put it here too, on the off-chance that the OP hasn't seen it. It's an outstanding video for anyone interested in Muffs.

ryandfl

Silver Supporting Member
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the info everyone.

I appreciate the big bottom warnings. My (concert) amp is already pretty bottom heavy. I hadn't considered how that might get out of control. ..hmmm... I'll definitely look into The Sweet per the suggestions.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom