Frantone prices going through the roof!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pennylink, Oct 16, 2008.

1. pennylink

pennylink Member

Frantone Electronics have just increased the price of their pedals by about 35%. A Vibutron that was $280 is now $380!

Retailers still have some old stock at the earlier prices, so if you were thinking of treating yourself to a new Frantone pedal you might want to do it sooner rather than later. Prices at Musictoys.com have already gone up.

What effect do you think this will have on the demand for these pedals? Will people keep buying them at these prices?

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I basically paid $380 for my Vibutron a few months ago, direct from Frannie. It was a custom job though. So I guess the answer is "Yes, there are some people who will pay.". Shoot, think about what people pay for a Klon or DRD.

-Ben

3. geetarman

geetarman Member

I just sold my Vibutron a couple of months ago I guess I should have waited a bit longer.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I sold mine as well, and I agree - I should have waited longer ;)

5. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Considering that you both sold them, maybe I shouldn't buy them after all.

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

I only sold mine because my Powerglide arrived but the Vibutron held its own quite well.

7. hbentley

hbentley Member

the vibutron is a fantastic trem. if mine broke and i couldn't find one used, i'd pay $380 for a new one. i really wish it wasn't yellow, but i can live with that.

8. derek2615

derek2615 Member

I sold my Vibutron a couple of months ago and have regretted it ever since! I just bought it again for the old price of $290... Oh well it's not the first pedal that I've bought twice (new)...

9. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Pedals Plus Effects Warehouse is now out of stock. Old stock prices are getting hard to find. If you were thinking about a Vibutron I would buy pretty quick.

[​IMG]

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

They've been going up steadily for about 3 years. I remember when you could pick up their fuzzes on the used market for less than $100 bucks, and new they were less than $200. Now everything's over $300.

11. jisforjustin

jisforjustin Member

Interesting trend. I highly commend Frantone though, because it sounds like she/they do every step in house. You can check out info here in case you have not already seen it (very nice video):

http://frantone.com/about.htm

Most builders, especially the big manufacturers, don't do this, because it is a lot cheaper to pay someone in China or Taiwan low wages and have everything made there. It certainly makes it harder for the small companies to compete pricewise, but you end up getting better made effects and the satisfaction of supporting local (US) manufacturers. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

12. Kayzer

Kayzer Member

440$ for a glacier! Sick! i payed 150 Euro shipped...

13. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The Hep Cat that I cant sell for $120 is now $325 new. Thats hilarious. I did just get a used Vibutron though and its probably my favorite simple tremolo I have ever heard.

14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I bought my The Sweet in 2002, and I thought the price was on the high side at the time. Frantone pedals are good alright, but they're not to die for.

15. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'd been eyeing her pedals for some time now, but always thought they were overpriced. Now there's probably no chance I'll consider them. And that's a shame.

16. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

+1

They make good stuff but those prices are unjustified. Good luck to em!

17. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Yep. And the peachfuzz didn't sound that great to me anyway. Overpriced at $200 and entirely overpriced at $300+.

18. vintage66

vintage66 Member

There's been one at a local Music Go Round for a very long time for about that. I finally tried it but it wasn't what I was looking for. Maybe I should buy it and ebay it after everybody figures out they can't afford a new one.:rolleyes:

19. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The clips on her web site are terrible which is probably why I cant sell mine. Its a rad drive but her clips make it sound thin and crappy.

20. AC30LP

AC30LP Member

I had an original hepcat---I thought it was mediocre at best