Frantone The Sweet

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lazy912, Mar 5, 2008.

1. lazy912

lazy912 Member

so have anyone tried this pedal out? how does it sound. can you compare it to another pedal? i'm seriously interested in buying one but its kinda pricey and i want to be sure that i dont waste any money.

2. george4908

george4908 Member

I've got one. Excellent Big Muff type fuzz. Don't really use fuzz much anymore these days, but this is a good one.

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

I've always been curious about The Sweet. It's a Big Muff with germanium transistors.

4. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

I love her stuff. I settled on the Peach Fuzz to go permanently on the board. The Sweet sounds like a Big Muff with a sledgehammer tone. The Peach Fuzz sounds to me like it could be EVH influenced.

5. lazy912

lazy912 Member

well, for better or worst, i ordered it. now if i dont like it i can always resell it. :roll i just hope this fuzz appeals to me. :AOK will update my thoughts once i get it.

6. lazy912

lazy912 Member

well, i just tried it out. it sounds very... ugh. :FM i dunno how to describe it, but it definitely doesn't appeal to me. really, I'm trying to like it, but it just doesn't do it for me. maybe after tonight when i try it out live i might like it more. i'll update later tonight.

7. endo23

endo23 Member

Yeah, I bought one back in the day and couldn't make it work for me... Even as a fan of Muff-type fuzzes, I've found many better variations. I highly recommend the ICBM for Siamese Dream-type tones, and Skreddy's stuff for Gilmourish leads...

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Please let us know how you like it after trying live. I've been toying around with picking up one of these the reviews are way too mixed to make me take the plunge.

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've had one for six years. It's a very aggressive fuzz, for sure. It took me a while to really warm up to it, but now I dig it. It lets me NAIL Clapton's "SWLABR" sound on a Les Paul (or SG) neck pickup.

10. lazy912

lazy912 Member

after playing the sucker at rehersal, then live.. i cant say anything but wow. :D its one of those pedals that just sounds better loud. :roll i guess playing it at home when i 1st got it, i was expecting something else and it didnt appeal to me. not to mention i cant really push my amp at home. but after tonight.. i like it. its like one of those girls, you know, where when you 1st meet her, she's ugly as hell. but the more you see her, the prettier she gets, until one day you realise she's hot. :eek: it does take a little time to get used to, very mean sounding fuzz. overall, good investment. it'll pay for itself over the years of abuse i'm going to give it. if your considering one, you should try it out 1st, if possible. either you love it or hate it. i bought mine off musictoyz, just do you know. so you can check there also.

11. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I love it. It's exactly the extra flavor I needed.

12. lakesider

lakesider Member

superlative bottom

13. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

I definitely agree- you gotta open it up to play this pedal. The tone knob is really key for me. Also, it sounds a little better to me run through a compressor.