Freakin Era or New Dano?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarplayer, May 10, 2015.

1. guitarplayer

guitarplayer Member

I've seen some "Freakin Era" Danocasters for sale for just slightly less (~$500) than a new one. Any recommendations whether I should wait for the right new Danocaster or grab an older "Freakin Era" Dano? From what I understand the necks on his new ones are to die for! Is it worth the extra money and wait time for a new one?

2. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

In my opinion, yes....I love the Freakin builds, and have had several...but like anything else, the more you do something, the better you get.....I think the guitars Dan is putting out now are at a different level, and his chunky C neck may be my favorite neck period ( and I have and have had builds by the best if the best)... Plus if you order, you can get exactly what you want...

Or just wait for a newer one to pop up...you should be able to get for $300 or so less than new, and they do hit the emporium here and there...

3. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

I have a freakin era s-type that is absolutely killer. I have to imagine Dan has only improved his methods and skill since then, so I wouldn't hesitate to think a new one could be even better. However, I think the freakin decal is one of the greatest things ever.

4. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Although I mentions I think Dan's skill have improved, there is no doubt in my mind the Freakin decal is as good as it gets...brilliant.

5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

6. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Yeah but Fender inc. Was not a big fan of the Freakin Logo!!! Hence the new Logo!! :facepalm

7. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

Haha, yeah I can imagine they weren't as amused as us. New headstock shape, too. Keith Urban played a few pretty high profile TV shows with a freakin tele a year or two ago..pretty great to see that on TV.

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

i wish you could have referred us to a little more authoritative a source than that.

:dude

When they were buying licensed necks, they could use the headstock shape that came on them. Once they started making their own, they couldn't do that.

As I understand it, anyway.

9. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

I'm far from the expert, but I think there are still issues with rebranding the licensed necks. I feel like I've read a few threads about Nash making some kind of financial agreement to continue using the shape. Either way, I do like Dano's reshaped headstock. A lot of the tweaked versions of the licensed shape look very bad, to me.

10. texrun38

texrun38 Supporting Member

Frankly, I have both. A Freakin' Danocaster single cut (with that awesome decal) and voodoo pickups and I also have a 2013 Danocaster single cut. Compare them: Freakin' neck is a tad chunkier, and has a very light finish on the back (though you can't necessarily feel it). It also has a r/w board that is very dark and just gorgeous. It is noticeably lighter than my other one (though I haven't weighed them to get exact difference). The 2013 Danocaster is a tad heavier, has a slightly less chunky/more medium C neck with an amazing satin finish/feel. It's a maple board that is also finished perfectly and gorgeous. It has Lollar/Dano pickups and double binding. Tone wise, the Freakin' is more rock tone and the Danocaster w/ Lollars has more traditional/brighter tele tone. I have TWICE thought of selling one and every single time I'm ready to do so, I start to play them both. I always end up at a point where, while the differences in feel and tone are so slight that it almost makes no sense to keep both, but then I play them and end up where I can't bring myself to let either of them go. Quite simply, figure out your budget and go from there. If you get a freakin' for less, you've scored. If you get a Danocaster used a very slight discount, you've scored. If you order new, you've scored. There are a lot of very talented builders out there, but if you get a Danocaster, you can't go wrong regardless. This is all in my own limited experience, mind you.