Freaking Opiates...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Srvwannab, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

If your life has been touched at all by this epidemic, you know exactly what I mean when I talk about the pit in your stomach you get when we lose another person to this madness.

So, to each of you that wage that battle, and to each of you that has a loved one that struggles with this stuff in one way or another- God Bless.

2. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Awful problem across America but I feel like this is being sensationalized as the next "Thing" hitting the streets when it has been around for quite a while. I can honestly see how easy of a bear trap scrip meds is to step in after popping 3 discs in my back from a construction fall. It also needs to have accountability from all parties involved as well as not being swept aside for the next new "thing" that comes along and grabs media attention.

deathrider817, Scrapperz and ACfixer like this.
  3. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Taking opiates is like dating a stripper. I have done the former, but have a friend who did the latter. Ya...the two are very much the same thing indeed.

MrLahey likes this.
  4. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Double edged sword for sure... My bookkeeper is getting her hip replaced next month, because of all the bad press and such her doc won't prescribe her anything but ibuprofen to get her through. Bone on bone, she's in absolute misery and has turned to med-pot to try and help but of course it does virtually nothing for that kind of pain. So I guess for the poor decisions of some doctors and users, we'll now get nothing when the actual condition really calls for something stronger. Par for the course.

e???, fjblair, RussB and 7 others like this.
  5. n9ne

n9ne Member

A few years ago, a nurse anesthetist friend of mine was telling me about the rampant use of prescription drugs among medical professionals.

According to him, doctors that refuse to prescribe it for their patients are often among the worst offenders. They know that writing too many prescriptions is a sure fire way to attract attention and get caught...so they'll limit the number of prescriptions given to patients to ensure that their own supply never runs short.

ACfixer, wilto and Scrapperz like this.
  6. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Yeah, this is what gets my goat the most. Other people abuse something and then everyone is punished. Kind of like in an 8th grade school class when someone does something wrong and the whole class suffers, so stupid.

bluwoodsman and ACfixer like this.
  7. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I think we're up to a quadruple-edged sword by now, at least. (as you know)

There's the relatively large number of folks who cannot do NSAIDS (it's becoming more common, in my experience)
    - this eliminates not only the common OTC's (aspirin, IBU, naproxen), but also the wider group of RX'd ones (celecoxib, diflusinal, peroxicam, etodolac, meloxicam, ketorolac, etc)

And there's the even bigger group (in my practice) who've have sufficient liver damage to where the MDs say "no Tylenol/acetaminophen)".
    Hep C?
    Long term med usage?
    Long term alcohol usage?
    ... all these folks may fit the bill.... their miles do vary.

Propoxyphene (Darvon) is gone (due to potential cardiac effects).

Anything opioid/narcotic-based is getting a nasty rep.

Even the med that the FDA trotted out to the dental community as the 'next thing to use when IBU isn't enough' = Tramadol has some major issues:
    - noted increase in seizure activities, and a large number of very commonly RX'd meds (bupropione, celexa, Elavil, Effexor, cipro, amitriptyline fluoxetine) this list goes on and on.
    (if you don't believe me, check into it's drug interactions list @ http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/tramadol-index.html?filter=3&generic_only= )
    ....and the fact that Naloxone (Narcan) is guaranteed to 100% reverse profound CNS/respiratory depression due to Tramadol...yeeeesh!
    - issues with cirrhosis patients
    - ineffective with liver patients with CYP2D6 deficiencies (tramadol is a prodrug which needs a pass thryu the liver CYP2D6 enzyme to produce the 'real' pain killer in it).
    - head trauma and acute abdominal problem complication potential.

Yuck... it's just a matter of time until a few high-visibility cases make Tramadol "The Next Bad Thing."
    I mean: ALL drugs (otc/RX and 'natural') have the potential for complications... and there are some absolute killers in each category.

The very, very sad thing is, for severe acute pain, there is a reason the opioids work... it is in the NATURAL DESIGN of our pain detection/reception/transmission system.
    Opioids FIT those receptors very well.
    NSAIDS and APAP go about their business a different way, but are not as effective in moderate to severe cases.

DV52, Stratobuc, bloomz and 9 others like this.
  8. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

"I did a little but a little got to be a lot" - Mr. Brownstone by GNR

this week, heroin is a discussion topic on every forum I read apparently
    this morning at the post office, new flyer on the window that our EMT's at the Fire Department are selling NARCAN Nasal inhalers for $20, but there was an ad that you could go to the Alamosa FD last week and get one for free.

9. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

when i shattered my ankle they gave me some pills. i don't remember what they were. the only thing they did for the pain was allow me to sleep through some of it. when i was awake i was depressed as hell, and had no idea why. when i ran out of pills, the sun came out again. when i had my gut surgery, i bugged them repeatedly to cut off the morphine. none of that stuff is for me. if i ever have another major injury or something, i'll be avoiding as much of that sort of thing as possible.

Jo-Jo Beans and Scrapperz like this.
  10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

What happened to the pain management movement within medicine?

Doc: How's your pain today, 1-10?

Patient: I'm ridding an 8 today, Doc.

Doc: Okay, let's get you something for that. Nurse, perhaps a nice piece of leather for him to bite down on?

Scrapperz likes this.
  11. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Pain sucks, and so do addictions. I'm blessed in that most opiates give me bad cheap beer hangovers, and that I haven't had to use them very often, but in my profession, I've met many wounded warriors who have developed serious addictions to painkillers...but what're you supposed to do for the guy who lost his face and three limbs and lives in chronic pain?

RussB, Wolfboy1, frankencat and 2 others like this.
  12. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Some of my friends know Slash personally and he's actually a nice dude. Pretty humble. Sure he was out of control for a while, but I don't think his book glamorized drugs at all. Same with Anthony Keidis and Keith Richards books. Made me glad I've never felt the need to experiment with narcotics. They all made it seem like a ghastly experience.

Cruciform and Killed_by_Death like this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I don't know, I didn't get the feeling like Saul regretted his drug abuse.
    I'm reading Keef's right now.
    Lemmy had enough to say about smack for me to never try it.

The other main reason I think Saul is a dirtbag is because he's obviously lying about the circumstances surrounding Todd Crew's death.

He also let Nikki Sixx (Frank) nearly die of an overdose in his apartment.

Darkburst likes this.
  14. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Well he was a straight up junkie at the time. I wouldn't expect anyone to make good descions while in that state. I'm not saying he isn't responsible for his actions, but both Todd and Nikki were having their own drug problems at that time too.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

I have done the latter, and it was nothing like the former. She was a lovely French-Canadian girl, with a beautiful personality, and although we drifted apart over 20yrs ago, I still think often of her (fondly). I hope life has treated you well, Nicole.

pepedede likes this.
  16. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

It's not THAT difficult to prescribe for the need when presented and follow up on extended use. It's the damned vicious circle that comes along so often. Something that really works in many cases gets abused and rather than work to control it people come out and want to take it away from those it really works for and who need it.

Scrapperz likes this.
  17. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Have you ever f*cked a percoset? Definitely, not the same thing.

18. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

The bottom line IMO, is we need to take responsibility for our own lives. I've struggled with my share of addictions (including opiates) but it's NOBODY's fault but my own. I don't blame dealers, doctors, my childhood, or anything else. It's MY fault. Blaming everyone else for our problems seems to be a trendy thing... Big pharma, crooked doctors, sleazy dealers, blah blah blah.

If you're hooked on dope, with very few exceptions it's your fault and your burden to deal with. Deal with it. Help is out there, but you have to want it. If you can't find it, PM me.

p19978, Lava Lamp, bloomz and 5 others like this.
  19. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

Read this today-

Man, heavy opiates, prescription esp...
    Sht creeps on u like the peak/valleys in the length of a twisted snapping leather lariat: The tail end is like a stinging black mamba bite.

The valleys in it fools you into thinking your use is handling it.