Freakshow Digilog Delay! SO AWSOME!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, May 24, 2007.

1. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I prefered the Malekko... by a lot! The Digilog added noise when I switched it on. I know a few people mentioned that phenomenon when they first came out, and it's one of those "it bothers you or it doesn't" type of things. The repeats got a little too dirty for my liking as well, but again, that's a personal preference thing too.

2. porterfield

porterfield Silver Supporting Member

i have a real vintage echo plex ep-3 i am looking to trade straight up for a digilog if anyone is interested.

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

Hey all,

Its been years since I've been on here. Can't believe I started this thread back in 2007! Anyways, I've got a fun story that I thought some of you might like to hear.

So I special ordered this pedal back in 2007 (maybe the only one with the jacks on the top?) and absolutely loved it, but like everyone else here, I started lusting for other gear and eventually sold it. In fact, I ended up just selling all of my equipment and started to invest in recording studio equipment.

These days, I'm a full time producer/studio owner in orange county and I also play in a band. A couple weeks ago, the guitarist in my band and I were talking about delay pedals and I mentioned how I missed my digilog that I had years ago. He decided to buy one and started looking for one here on this forum.

Today, he shows to up the studio with his "new" digilog pedal and only took me 1 glance at it to know it was my EXACT pedal that I sold through this forum 6-7 years ago!!! I couldn't believe it!

Anyways, he agreed to sell it to me and I'm so excited that this pedal found its way back home! We will be using it on our new record that we start recording this friday!

Jon

4. themusicboxstudios

i also sold this pedal around the same time and would love to have it back. anyone out there know where this may have ended up?

[​IMG]

5. Grabber

Grabber Member

Hey Jon - a long time for you, but only 15 minutes for me to read me through the years from your first post to your last. I am in the market for a delay pedal and wanted to learn about the Digilog. Thanks for this thread. Hope you get back your other Freakshow pedal too.
    Happy recording!
    :beer

6. jmcdona

jmcdona Supporting Member

7. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Hey Jon can you post a pic of your digilog? I wonder if it's the one I bought from you and later sold to my bud, miss that delay

8. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Been searching for a digilog and brown rabbit combo myself

9. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I've been eyeing that one. I was part of that tour box, Musictoyz, back in '07, and i have some very specific memories. #1: Coolest tour box ever. Pedals came packed in a small 50's style suitcase. All hand painted, at that time, all sounded great. Ended up buying a Brown Rabbit later (and should have kept it), and have considered buying a Digilog many times since.
    But #2: what i really remember most is that i received this tour box while i was waiting to move into my first home, and i spent a few hours over there in an empty house, windows open on a hot hot late summer day, with just a guitar, this tour box, and a Champ, playing and playing. Those pedals, that champ, and that house are now gone out of my life…but it's a good memory….

cheers

10. themusicboxstudios

Hey man! It's the same pedal on the original post of this thread! the picture is there. My band just recorded our new album this past couple of weeks and we used the digilog all over it.

11. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Got one yesterday via the emporium. I've been wanting to try one for quite a while now. Only had about 15 mins with it this morning.

First impression:
    Repeats aren't all that special--sounds sorta analogy in that it loses some high end, but doesn't degrade as fast as hard as the darker analog delays.

It was ok for slap back, but I tend to like my slaps a little brighter and with some warble. May hang on to my dd7 (mod mode) for that.

Longer delays (400-450ms) are very nice. Like I said, I don't think the repeats are all that special, but it has fantastic FEEL in the mix. Hard to explain. Someone here said that you almost feel that you can get away without tap tempo (assuming you normally like that) because the feel is so great. I get that.

No white noise issues. Going to try with buffers next.

I thought the oscillation foot switch was more of a gimmick, but it turns out to be REALLY nice and musical. I was very supposed by this. I could hold it down and get sweet oscillation without the loudness and craziness that usually occurs. I like how you can set the ramp up speed.

Overall, not sure if it will stay. Going to compare it to my dd7's analog mode next to see which I like better. Think the dd7 does a better analog degradation, but the digilog may have a better feel. We'll see. ;)

If it stays, I may scoop up a brown rabbit to have for my whole setup.

12. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Update: spent another hour with it and I just love it. I should probably clarify that when I said "nothing special about the repeats", I was referring to modulation or tapeness, etc. They just have a natural echo, but again, just sit in the mix beautifully.

Regarding the oscillation, I'm getting addicted. I've had patches on my dl4 to simulate the "background wash slowly building", but it's hard to maneuver because it IS the effect. This just builds on the fly and the ability to set the ramp up time is very useful. White noise is gradually added to the oscillation, which I love....it slowly turns into a wall of sound without the massive out of control volume issues (if you set it right)

13. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

One more thing. Not sure what this is on my pedal. A lightbulb?

[​IMG]

14. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

15. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member

Yeah that would be my guess voorhiessa, an artsy light bulb. Nice looking Digilog!

16. tapeup

Hey Jon,

It's great to hear from you on here, I'm glad you chimed back in. I still remember you as "curehardy" from years ago on the alt-country pedalboard forums. It sounds like things are going well for you these days, congratulations on that! Are you still doing TheFriendsWeMake?

I will say that I've tried to check out some of the old demo videos from time to time that I remember you posting. Besides the Digilog videos you mentioned in this thread, you also had some with your old E-H DMM and Maxon delays from what I remember, as well as a nice Gibson Falcon video or two that I used to like the tone of and would revisit during my stages of Falcon gas over the years.

I wish you still had these videos active on YouTube, as I enjoyed them, and I was kind of looking for your Digilog and DMM or Maxon comparison videos (I think you played the Digilog in the same video as one of these?) when I recently rediscovered my old Digilog and Maxon delays.

Here's an old photo of my Digilog (back when I made a yellow board "just because" after realizing a few of my pedals were yellow, haha):

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

17. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Yellow board is awesome

18. tapeup

Thanks voorhiessa! It started out as a joke, and I realize the matching-ness (?) of it looks funny to a lot of people, but this little setup actually sounds great! If I was still using this exact setup, I'd even go so far as to consider painting the TU-2 yellow, so the whole setup would then be yellow (more for my own amusement than anything else).

19. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Still lovin this pedal! Here's mine!

[​IMG]

Blue Bee likes this.