1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Freakshow Effects Brown Rabbit OD (Jeff Tweedy) LIMITED RUN - New Order sign up

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Jul 26, 2018.

1. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Yo dudes, I've been chatting with Justin from Freakshow Effects, maker of the Brown Rabbit and the 20xx that Jeff Tweedy from Wilco uses to this day. He stopped manufacturing the entire line of Freakshow Effects in 2013. He's been working on his band and working his normal job. BUT he said he would love to make a limited run but would need to make at least 10 in order to not lose money doing so.

Here are a couple links:

The Brown Rabbit:

The 20xx Boost:

So I'm posting this to see if there are 10 dudes out there who would want a Brown Rabbit to check out that Wilco tone with me. I know I could go hunting for a used one, but I think this is cooler.

The cost would be $170 shipped. He would need a 50% deposit for each. He's working on an estimated turn time as he would need to get the enclosures screened. So only inquire if you're not a nervous Nelly. If you're into it, PM me and and I'll hit you with my email.

Thanks! Eric

2. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Your thread title is confusing. :confused:

3. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I'd be in for that.
    Was lucky enough to do a Freakshow tourbox back about ten years ago. Enclosures were still handpainted (which I much preferred), and all the pedals sounded great.

deadletteroffice likes this.
  4. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Groovy. Need a few more to dive in!

5. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Words is hard.

6. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

No, I don't think that's it.

(Enjoy the free thread bump.)

7. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I'd be interested if he would do the older handprinted graphic. Let me know!

aaronblues and deadletteroffice like this.
  8. overture2005

overture2005 Member

I have an original handpainted Brown Rabbit OD. It's the only one that can take over the job of Honey Bee, Zendrive, Eternity at the same time imo.

aaronblues and deadletteroffice like this.
  9. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

10. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Do it!

I have an original-run Brown Rabbit that I love, love, love.

Fantastic dirtbox that starts with the Rat sound and goes off into the wild fuzzy yonder from there.

11. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I used to have an original run Brown Rabbit and sadly I sold it. I’m gonna have to think about this...

12. King Rat

King Rat Member

I'd be down for one! how to we sign up/know more?

13. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Nothing official. Just looking for 10 dudes to commit. If we can pool the deposit in whatever way makes sense he will build them.

My guess is that I'll collect the deposits and forward on to him so if anything goes off the rails I'll deal with refunding people rather than having to deal with Justin direct.

He said 4-8 weeks to screen and build 10. First pay, first shipped. If we get to that point I'll post the order in which deposits were taken so people know where they are.

14. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Hey Peter, I assume you are speaking about the baby blue with rabbit ears like Tweedy has. I also like that and inquired about it but unfortunately it sounds like he had a falling out with that artist. Says they are unreliable. He has a graphic that he showed me that can best be described by me as a profile angle of a Donnie Darko rabbit type of illustration. It's black and white line art so I suspect I could discuss the base color of the enclosure with him. I suspect he would be open to that. Maybe put that on that original baby blue to connect the lineage.

bulbasaur_85 likes this.
  15. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Let us know what the graphic ends up being. That will certainly sway my commitment!

16. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I acquired a hand painted original a few months ago and it's KILLER! Great pedal!

ford, deadletteroffice and aaronblues like this.
  17. bonedaddy

bonedaddy Member

I was in on that too...good stuff

18. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

That tourbox was fantastic on an aesthetic level...
    Came in an old suitcase that had been fitted for the pedals. The pedals were handpainted and fun. The Digilog analog delay had the runaway repeats by footswitch, which not many delays had at that time; the Maharishi was a strange Ring Mod-type pedal. The Rabbit has my favorite Rat-type tones to date. Should have kept.
    :aok

ford and deadletteroffice like this.
  19. mavsbball

mavsbball Supporting Member

Did any of these ever get made? I would have been on board if he made a few more of the 20xx boost

20. King Rat

King Rat Member

I remember getting a message.. i don't think the price was good, and it was not going to be the OG handpainted just something else.. i don't know if people were on board and it got off the floor.

mavsbball likes this.