Fred stuart wiring and cap advice.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by earthmud, Sep 14, 2008.

1. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

So I've been to two different tech's trying to get my tele wired and setup right. The first time the new pup's sounded incredible but the microphonics were out of control not to mention all the foam he stuffed everywhere. Got the microphonic issue solved myself by installing longer tubing on the bridge pup. I then took my tele to a new tech for a setup and he ended up changing out my old S-1 250k switch volume pot for an new cts 250k pot. He also added treble bleed cap to the volume pot. When I got the tele back there is now something missing tone wise. The neck pickup is now really muddy sounding and the pickups seem kind of dead. I opened up the control plate and here's what I found The treble bleed cap reads 102k 1kv. The tone caps also appears to be a .022uf instead of a .047uf which Fred Stuart recommends. I'm not sure if the new tech changed the tone cap from a .047 to a .022 when installing the new pot or whether the first tech installed the wrong one. Is the cap value for the treble bleed cap correct? Can a treble bleed mod suck tone or is the tone cap the wrong value? One of the two caps are causing the issue so I was wondering what you all thought. I know these pups can sound better so any and all opinions are always welcome.

Thanks J

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

The treble bleed cap should have no effect whatsoever when the volume pot is at max. It should appear to be brighter/thinner as you starting turning down the volume pot.

The cap's value should also have little to no effect when the tone pot is at max.

There's gotta be something wrong in the wiring regardless of the cap values.

3. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

the treble bleed cap is between the hot and middle terminal of the volume pot, is it perhaps spanning the outside terminals? is there a short between the hot and middle terminals? Also, the tone pot may be touching the cavity if the guitar is shielded?

Andy

4. earthmud

The wiring is good. The main thing I notice is that the neck pickups is muddier tha it should be. Are the cap values correct for the treble bleed cap? I ride the volume a lot.

5. David Collins

David Collins Member

Just as RvChevron said, with the volume and tone on 10 The treble bleed circuit is not having any effect whatsoever on the circuit, and the tone cap style or value has pretty darn close to none. Even if it did have a notable effect, the .022μf in place of the .047μf would lean in the opposite direction of what you're describing (though in reality it would be difficult to hear any difference at all until you turn the tone down a bit).

So it's not the caps or treble bleed - you should be looking elsewhere for the problem. Wiring, a short to a cap, actual pot values (not always the same as marked values), etc.

Is this a huge night and day difference we're talking about, or more of an "I think it sounds a bit different than before I took it in" kind of difference?

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Maybe it's the "no load" pot that you miss. Why was it removed anyway?

7. earthmud

I still have the no load tone pot. I only switch out the volume pot. all I know is now the neck pickup which sounded great, now is muddy sounding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe these will help. I can email a copy of the wiring diagram Fred sent me to compare if anyone wants it. I can't seem to load the pdf file here.

8. Memorex

Memorex Member

If the tone cap is leaky, that could suck signal, but it's easy to measure with an ohmmeter, just lift one leg of the cap. The resistance should be very high, several megohms at least.

The bleed cap probably would not suck tone noticeably, even if it were leaky, and certainly not when the volume control is full up.

BTW, the cap value 102k means .001uf 10% tolerance, which is fine for a bleed cap, but I usually like to parallel that with a resistor to reduce the treble bleed and change the control taper for a faster turn on when doing pinky swells. For a 250K audio taper volume pot, I would use 100K-150K ohms.

In my own tele, I use a 500k CTS custom taper pot along with a .001uf bleed cap and 150K parallel resistor, which makes the pickups only slightly brighter, but I like the way the volume swells. I use a .033uf tone cap, but any value from .015-.047 works, it just depends what you like.