1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fredamp JCM800 Preamp in a Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LPMojoGL, Sep 19, 2014.

1. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Dude! I've been wanting something like this for years:

2. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

sounds good

3. V

V Vendor

It does sound really good. I don't think it's literally the preamp from the JCM800 housed in a pedal, though, just to clarify (since it runs on 15V supply). I actually have a pedal like that made by the guy who makes my amps for me, too, though. Also a great pedal.

4. leblanc74

leblanc74 Member

5. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

The Fredamp 800 sounds great in that clip. Anyone know what they go for?

6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Wow, that Hot Mod looks nice for $165. Thanks for the 411 on that one!

7. leblanc74

leblanc74 Member

Volume at 11 unity..tone at 1 drive at 1 also...use guitar volume to taste.... seriously. From Malmsteem to acdc, but i dig the megadeath, overkill, Whatever, it brings you there with no problem...mod800 and my H9 is your ultimate hair metal classics

8. JiMB

JiMB Member

9. LPMojoGL

Dunno. Made in France. I sent a message inquiring last night.
    Want one!

10. papersun

papersun Member

NEED

290 euro is a lot. :(

11. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

True story. I paid 239 Euro for my Weehbo anniversary, and that was pretty painful too ... though the pedal is awesome.

Another new contender in the Marshall 800ish stakes is the Freaking Sick 30 Volt.

Lots of tasty Marshall stuff out there these days. Expensive, too.

Those Hot Mods were on sale for $109 earlier this summer. Almost stagged one then.

EDIT: This feels like a very appropriate 1988th post, btw. :) The 88 in my username is because I graduated from high school that year. It was good year and a good decade. I know not everyone would agree with me, but to me it's pretty much been all downhill since then, music-wise. You can take the boy out of the '80s, but you can't take the '80s out of the boy. :)

12. mac jones

mac jones Member

Sure it was a fine decade.

I'm just not sure i'd pay $350 for it :D

Seriously, I'd love to try all of them, but can't help thinking that many of the existing pedals can be had used, for much less than the new kid on the pedal block, and sound just as good

13. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

ha, ha, ha. That does sound good, but I can't play like that guy, either.

14. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

The video led me to this:

Holy Crap... Where to buy?

15. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, there's a lot of good-to-great dirt out there well below top dollar. I'm kind of funny ... I've been willing to pay a lot for a couple of great dirt boxes; but most of the time I won't pull the trigger on pedals in general unless I'm in the neighborhood of 40% to 50% off retail used. Dirt's been the one major exception that I've dropped some cash on to try to find what works best for me.

I'll also say that my best super cheap find cost me $10 on ebay ... the Behringer GDI21. It'll hang with much, more expensive stuff. I got it and my first Elements the same day ... and ended up much preferring the high gain of the Behringer to the Elements when I was expecting the opposite. So ... go figure. I've probably had my fill of $300 dirt pedals at this point. But that doesn't stop me from being enthusiastic about new and promising arrivals when they show up.

Details, details. It's like you're insinuating that tone is in the hands or something. Everyone knows tone's in the pedal. Right? :rotflmao

16. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Dunno. It's a big pedal so who knows what's going on under the hood. I suspect it might be an actual 800 preamp in stomp format - it certainly sounds like one. The Kingsley Jouster runs two 12AX7s at full plate voltage using 12V positive centre - so why wouldn't this at 15V? They internally ramp up the voltage. The Kinglsey Harlot runs a single 12AX7 at full voltage on a 9V, 500mA negative centre input, and sounds beyond anything I've ever heard/felt in transistor form, like a real amp.

The price is hugely prohibitive but if it is what it says it is, probably worth it to turn your Twin Reverb into a proper JCM800! Would love to see a gut shot.

17. LPMojoGL

I'd pay to get it over here. It sounds like the real deal to me.
    I bet that pedal could turn almost any good Marshally amp into a flame thrower at lower volumes.
    I've wanted a real tube jcm800 pedal for a long time. That sounds like what I had in my head.

18. mac jones

mac jones Member

I'm not sure I understand this thread at all. It's probably because i'm uniformed.

But it seems to me there's very little info about these. And it's not something new. There seems to be lots of tube pre-amp stomp boxes (some are JCM800) available, and apparently they have been around for quite some time.

If there were details about construction, that would be fun, but there isn't. To order something like this going one almost no info, from a Google translated page.:D

Well, if you have the means, and a lot of people do here, but for the average Joe.........

But like I said, i'm not informed enough to ......to have a positive view :D

19. BadMonkey007

BadMonkey007 Member

I do not know about the sound, but when it comes to appearance? ugly as **** :rotflmao

20. LPMojoGL

What are the many tube preamp JCM800 stomp boxes? I started a thread long ago asking for such a thing and got nothing. Very interested.

Thanks in advance.