• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fredamp JCM800 Preamp in a Pedal!

mac jones

What are the many tube preamp JCM800 stomp boxes? I started a thread long ago asking for such a thing and got nothing. Very interested.

Thanks in advance.

Check out this link

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=151593

I don't really know much about this, and i'm sure have seen this before.

But for me, I have start somewhere, and of course I need to learn a little .......before I shell out my life savings :D

mac jones

Great links. Thanks!

Are you researching MIAB pedals and/or going for a particular sound?

Frankly, I don't have a clue as to what i'm doing. I've never even used anything but some chorus and reverb (thought I never would), but recently have been buying some dirtier stuff and having a lot of fun.

I think i'm getting a little senile :D

Last edited:

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
Frankly, I don't have a clue as to what i'm doing. I've never even used anything but some chorus and reverb (thought I never would), but recently have been buying some dirtier stuff and having a lot of fun.

I think i'm getting a little senile :D

Seriously though, i'm very curious about the analog aspect to this. I was pretty much through with even thinking about anything analog until I got the pedal bug recently. Now i'm taking my time and doing some comparisons. I'd like to try tubes, but at $400 I'm going to have to hear some more input from this site.

So how about this. You buy one, test it, review it.....for the team :D

I see what you did there. :)

I wish I had the ability to do that right now ... but I don't.

Yeah, the problem with the pedal thing (as compared to amps and guitars) is that it's really easy to tumble down the rabbit hole. Especially in areas like distortion, overdrive, fuzz and delay. The fuzz guys are even more nuts than us distortion freaks, and I haven't even stuck a toe underneath the lid of that Pandora's box.

I've been through a slew of high-end dirt boxes, but haven't tried any with tubes. Ever so slightly less crazy price-wise are Maxon's real tube series.

At the $300ish price point, the Mesa Throttle Box Five, Weehbo's stuff, Amptweaker's BigRock Pro and TightMetal Pro have all gotten a lot of good reviews.

Under that price point, there are simply tons of really, really usable options. Lots of folks like JHS's Angry Charlie. The Emma ReezaFRATzis is terrific. Lots of fans of Suhr's Riot, too. Slightly less dirty, the Carl Martin Plexitones and Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret all have lots of people who've said good things, too. And the Menaton King of the Britains boxes. So many dirt boxes!

A notch below those, price-wise, the Super Crunch Box by MI Audio has lots of fans. And stepping down from that (again, price-wise ... not necessarily soundwise), the MXR Super Badass, Xotic SL Drive and Boss ST-2 have plenty of fans, too.

I wonder, given some of the things you've said about high prices, if you should start at the lower end of that spectrum and work up. That way, the risk is pretty minimal. I've seen the Boss and MXR's for sale at my local GC recently for $50 to $75 or so.

Anyway, that may be way more info than you want or asked for. But after parsing hundreds of MIAB theads and owning maybe a dozen or so of the most popular boxes myself, that would be my counsel.

Good luck.

mac jones

Anyway, that may be way more info than you want or asked for. But after parsing hundreds of MIAB theads and owning maybe a dozen or so of the most popular boxes myself, that would be my counsel.

Good luck.

Ah, good advice thanks!

But unfortunately, it's too late, I've already bought a bunch of stuff. ;)

It's funny that in the end it's just dirt really. To be picky about dirt? Dirt connoisseur? :D

Last edited:

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
Ah, good advice thanks!

But unfortunately, it's too late, I've already bought a bunch of stuff. ;)

It's funny that in the end it's just dirt really. To be picky about dirt? Dirt connoisseur? :D

Yeah, a dirt connoisseur. I like that. :)

It's a funny hobby, definitely. But I've had worse. And more expensive ones. (My sportbike habit in previous pre-marriage, pre-kids life makes my pedal habit look benign by comparison).

Like motorcycles, the sound of a distorted guitar is just one of those things in life that makes me really happy. Go figure. Since my teens back in the day, there's just been something about rock guitar that utterly captured my imagination. I'm as much of a hack today as I was 25 years ago--more gear than talent by a long ways. But it's a relatively little thing that brings a certain amount of satisfaction.

Whadja get, btw?

shoepedals

Dunno. It's a big pedal so who knows what's going on under the hood. I suspect it might be an actual 800 preamp in stomp format - it certainly sounds like one. The Kingsley Jouster runs two 12AX7s at full plate voltage using 12V positive centre - so why wouldn't this at 15V? They internally ramp up the voltage. The Kinglsey Harlot runs a single 12AX7 at full voltage on a 9V, 500mA negative centre input, and sounds beyond anything I've ever heard/felt in transistor form, like a real amp.

The price is hugely prohibitive but if it is what it says it is, probably worth it to turn your Twin Reverb into a proper JCM800! Would love to see a gut shot.

Yeah true it could be ramped up internally.

juansolo

Not sure how many tubes are in there, but there should be two to do it right...

As for running from a 15v PSU not being enough, I can get 290V from a 9V PSU ;) Which is more than enough to run a pair of 12AX7s... The heaters are the main current draw and they're 6.3v regulated from the 9v feed. The plates are the high voltage side and pull very little current relatively speaking.

As for JCM800 pre in a stomp, entirely doable. We did some tweaks to mine to tame the treble a bit (as the presence control is in the power stage). I did mine as a set and forget, but it could be a knob too.

It might look something like this...

btt-o2.jpg

Bit scruffy on the inside, but then this led to development of a power board and PCB for the effect that'll be available to DIYers at some point via Grind Customs.

btt-i2.jpg

mac jones

Whadja get, btw?

Well one item I bought but haven't had the chance to try, is the Digetech Hardwire SC-2. (very cheap BTW)

Now, when I first heard about this i wasn't partularly interested as I have a few of there better digital boxes, and they are great, but thought it would be redundant.

But then I found out they are actually analog, and had to have one.

Point here is, price and name, isn't always an indicator. I bought this pedal for a little over $40 US :D

I bought a bunch of more expensive used ones also, but I do like the price on this one, people seem to like it.

shoepedals

Yeah, the 15V could be used to get to the typical voltage but 15v is also enough to run in starved plate mode. I wish the site was a bit clearer on that part. Still, though, it doesn't really matter if it sounds good.

juansolo

Yeah, the 15V could be used to get to the typical voltage but 15v is also enough to run in starved plate mode. I wish the site was a bit clearer on that part. Still, though, it doesn't really matter if it sounds good.

With a 12AU7 maybe (and still it would benefit from more), 12AX7s need a lot lot to play nice. Though if you actually want it to sound like a JCM800 pre, it helps if you're using 2x 12AX7s at high voltage. As always with such pedals, unless I see the guts, I suspect silicon interference... Especially in the metal one. In a lot of these pedals the tube isn't much more than a pretty light bulb... I'm not saying that's the case here, just in a lot of cases it can be...

Last edited:

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Got a response back about pricing shipped to the USA:

"hello
not at the moment I think being able to work with the usa, because I can not use the warranty on my products because I do not have a dealer in the USA, and if the stomp drops breakdowns I could not fix it because the do return to France would cost too expensive.
fred"

So, looks like a no-go. Bummer.

Not sure how many tubes are in there, but there should be two to do it right...

As for running from a 15v PSU not being enough, I can get 290V from a 9V PSU ;) Which is more than enough to run a pair of 12AX7s... The heaters are the main current draw and they're 6.3v regulated from the 9v feed. The plates are the high voltage side and pull very little current relatively speaking.

As for JCM800 pre in a stomp, entirely doable. We did some tweaks to mine to tame the treble a bit (as the presence control is in the power stage). I did mine as a set and forget, but it could be a knob too.

It might look something like this...

btt-o2.jpg

Bit scruffy on the inside, but then this led to development of a power board and PCB for the effect that'll be available to DIYers at some point via Grind Customs.

btt-i2.jpg

Clips, vids, info? Interested. Thanks.

juansolo

Clips, vids, info? Interested. Thanks.

This is the latest on the boards (my protos haven't landed yet): https://www.facebook.com/GrindCustomsFX/posts/717493054992654

There are a couple of clips of his earlier PTP proto also on there somewhere.

In the US you'd be better getting Rej at Grind to make you one rather than me. The exchange rate and sheer cost of building stuff here make it insanely expensive by the time you get it over there and convert it into USD.

juansolo

STM looks rad. If you can get those tubes safely inside the enclosure, I'd be very interested.

Probably easier to recess them and do a cover like a Mesa tube pedal to get the height down, yet retain the easy change nature and still keep the majority of the heat out of the box.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom