Freddie King's guitars...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ulug, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Ulug

Ulug Member

Freddie King has been one of my favorite guitar players for a long long time, and I just keep wondering what happened to his guitars after he passed.

Lots of well known and admired players of the past and present, alive or not, have at least a few of their well played and heavily gigged instruments in private collections and/or on exhibit somewhere (I was lucky enough to check out one of Chuck Berry's guitars closely once) but where are Freddie's?

Just curious... Anyone in the know?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

I for one would really be interested in knowing what happened to his 50's Gold top.

3. Ulug

Ulug Member

Yeah! Likewise.

4. Kelly

Kelly Member

Is that the guitar that his kids broke the headstock off of?

5. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

His ES-355 (one of them anyway) was on the market a couple of years ago. His family has most of the rest I believe. Mark Pollock (no relation) was his guitarist on the tour with Clapton ('74 I think), and I've corresponded with him regarding Freddie's guitars. He might know where the goldtop went. http://transpecosguitars.com/mainpage.html Marks shop.

6. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Maybe ask Steve Segall?

7. slider

slider Member

^Sounds like a joke but true. He has Muddy's, BB's, Albert's, etc.

8. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

One of his 355s used to be in the Dallas Hard Rock Cafe - back when the instruments were still from the actual users

9. bob-i

bob-i Member

It's a 345 and yes I saw it there as well.

10. Greentone

Greentone Member

Yes, his daughter, Wanda, acknowledged that she broke it by accident while playing in the house. Who knows what happened to it after that! You can hear that it was doing the wraparound sitar thing on some of those cuts.

11. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

Probably thrown away for scrap after that unfortunately .

12. straycat113

straycat113 Member

One of my favorite players of all time as well as arguably Clapton's biggest influence when it came to Slow Hand really letting it rip. (Really great question) as I have never heard of what happened to his gear after his tragic early death. Searched pretty long on the net and really can't find any definitive answers.

13. Bobbyb

Bobbyb Member

Interesting that this would come up. I know a guy locally that has one of his cherry 345s. I say "one of," I like King's music but know next to nothing about him or his instruments, he may have only had one, or a hundred for all I know. It was really cool though, he showed me this old video of Freddie King playing and could point out the little quirks in the guitar. The fellow that owns it is a professional player, and not a collector. He played many years for Leon Russel who owned the guitar before him.

14. Defendant

Defendant Member

Cool! were you allowed to play it?

15. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Funny...I was on 3 different FB pages today about this one.
    I think a Marvel by Premier (Multivox, Sorkin Music NYC) although it has a little Kay in it? Definately not a Danelectro, which a few guys thought it was.
    We were even wondering if it was even his. Bolt-on with Maple is far from what he used. Notice the spelling of his first name. This was 1961.
    Does anyone have other pictures of him with this guitar??

[​IMG]

16. arcey

arcey Supporting Member

Cool pic, thanks for posting that!

17. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

I wanted to start this thread about 7 months ago. Love Freddie and his 345 blues.
    Always wondering where his guitars ended up & wishing Gibson would release a Freddie King 345 model, but not now with the recent price hike

18. VJF

VJF Member

I love Freddie's playing but I always thought the TONE on this song was a terrible trebly fuzzy mess.

The perfect example of a great player, with great gear, but (for me) bad tone.

19. beforetone

beforetone Member

An old '77 Guitar Player interview mentioned his plain strings as .010 .011 .012. Regular wound Gibson for the lower strings.
    ES 335, 345, 355, Les Paul and a couple of Thunderbirds.

20. Bobbyb

Bobbyb Member

He probably would have let me but I didn't ask. I get kinda nervous just thinking about messing with old stuff like that and falling over on it or accidentally dropping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk