free Bassman 100, what a deal!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by SeanF, Dec 2, 2014.

1. SeanF

SeanF Member

I'd never had any experience with this model, but a buddy gave me his because it didn't work. It's a '73, bone stock. I rebuilt the power section (filter caps were shot to hell), reworked the power connections (no more ground switch, rerouted the power leads so they don't go right through the power tube wiring), new power cord, clipped the snubber caps on the power tubes, got the bias where it needs to be (factory bias was way cold), increased the grid stoppers and screen grid resistors on the power tubes, removed the negative feedback loop, and that's about it, pretty much basic stuff. Checked the signal path resistors and coupling caps, but they seem fine; I don't think this thing's been played much.

wow, this thing sounds good! I love the bass channel with the deep switch on, it's huge, fantastic dynamics, breaks up real nice too. Haven't checked power output yet, but it's painfully loud. Thinking about leaving the bass channel alone and doing the Rock/Jazz switch thing on the other channel, make it a little more versatile. Overall, it's been a really pleasant surprise.

2. Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Member

That's awesome. I wish people gave me thier vintage tube amps. Awesome you were able to get it working again.

3. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to get my hands on one of those. Right now I'm I'm using a Dual Showman for bass in my practice room. I'd love to have one of those.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Someone gave me a Gibson GA19-RVT (Falcon) once that had been modded/butchered beyond belief, but still worked. I had it for 25 years and gave it (well, he paid for shipping) to a friend (who's also member here) and he restored it to stock. That made me feel good knowing that it went to a good home. Sounds like that Bassman found a good home too!

5. SeanF

SeanF Member

Peteyvee, yeah, you ain't kiddin', I'm having a blast with this thing. Think I'm gonna replace the plate load resistors and coupling caps, see if I can get the notes to be a little clearer, but it's a real Fender clean machine, and I'm really glad to have it. Turns out I had a Tele body made of antique pine that my buddy wanted, so I sent it to him. I'm doing some custom amp work for him, but all things considered, the Bassman still seems like a really nice surprise. It's still a weird feeling to be the first person to touch an amp since it was made, especially one as old as this, but it seems to be moving in the right direction so far.

6. nailbender

nailbender Member

I bought the first one of those ever sold.Bought it off the floor of the NAMM show at McCormick Place in Chicago.The bottoms were huge and would not fit in my car.I think it was 1971 and cost $600 for the head and bottom.Wanted more power than my blonde bassman had.