Free The Tone SOV-2 vs MS SOV Special Matt Schofield sig?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lespaulnmarshall, Jul 21, 2014.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi guys,
    I'm considering buying one of these two, in this case I won't be able to try before I buy, though I could probably exchange the pedals if I really made the wrong choice.
    I already tried the SOV-2 which sounded great, but the MS still seems quite interesting. The HTS buffer circuit is a nice feature on the MS special that might come in handy. In youtube clips the MS seems to sound a bit thinner than the SOV-2 though (when it's on that is). I already have a FTT final booster at the end of my pedalboard with the HTS buffer which is great, and i currently have no buffer earlier in my chain. If I'd use the MS early in my signalchain (after my pedals that dislike buffers) that would be a nice advantage for the MS Special. Still the sound when the pedal itself is engaged is the most important to me and that is mostly what I would be making my desicion on. So I was wondering what the exact tonal differences are between the SOV-2 and MS SOV special from free the tone? Which would you recommend me and why?

Thanks!

2. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

3. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

4. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a Free The Tone SOV-2, but I have a Providence SOV-2 and the MS Sig SOV-2 and the MS Sig is an absolutely terrific pedal. To me it is far more open and less compressed than the Providence, which works great for my rig. For me, the MS Sig can tend to sound a touch thinner at low volumes, but once the rig is turned up and running at a drummers volume the MS Sig is amazing and extremely well balanced OD. Sorry I don't have the full comparo you were looking for, but close!

6. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi Travis,
    Thanks a lot for your reply!
    I used to have a probidence SOV-2, which I quickly got rid of because I didn't like the tone very much. When I recently tried the FTT I was amazed how great it sounded (as I didn't like the providence version much at all). I think the FTT pedals are far better than the providence counterparts. I had a similar experience when comparing the providence and FTT final boosters.

7. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

8. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

9. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I own Providence SOV-2 and FTT MS, but never a/b them, sorry. If my memory serves me right, there's a difference in the two. SOV-2 is best used for lighter gain (OD level less than 12pm) and compliments natural tone of amp nicely IMO. FTT MS is more Marshall like to me, thick and more OD on tap..... IMO.

If just want a pretty natural sounding OD to push amp a little for blues like stuff, get a SOV-2. If you want to use OD level at min to max settings, MS.

PS I play at medium to loud home volume levels with small Two Rocks. I also have found minimal differences in stock Providence to custom or FTT.

10. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thanks for your review.
    I contacted FTT myself this afternoon, they said they are very close. According to them the difference is very small, the MS is better suited to matt'a requirements and has slightly less mids than the SOV-2. The major difference is HTS buffered in the MS vs True bypass in the SOV-2

11. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thanks for the replies so far

One more bump :)

12. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

I had the SOV 2 and the free the tone version and played the buffered Matt Schofield. I liked the FTT unbuffered the most. There is something about the buffer that I do not like in none of the ftt pedals, so please check that out before buying. The buffer really influences the sound of your whole board....

13. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

I do like the FTT buffer. I have the same buffer in my final booster.

14. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

I ordered both pedals and will send back one of the two
    I'll share my findings in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  15. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

How much gain is in these pedals?

16. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

I only tried the SOV-2, I'd say it's low to medium gain, but IMO it shined on a lower gain setting (drive around 11 o' clock). The MS version is supposed to have a little less gain than the regular SOV-2.

17. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Did you get to try both pedals?

What did you decide on?

18. _hi.fi

_hi.fi Supporting Member

I have a FTT SOV-2 on my board. I just bought a MS-SOV today, I'll get it next week.

[​IMG]

19. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Bump for anymore. Trying to decide between the two myself.

Thanks

20. _hi.fi

_hi.fi Supporting Member

They sound are pretty much the same IMO. The MS-SOV has a buffer, the SOV-2 doesn't. I would say go for the best deal you can find on the used market. Both are great, the diffrences are subtle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016