Free-Way 10 Position Switch on American Standard

goldenboy

I have a 93 Amercian Standard Strat that I would like to install the Free-Way 5 position 10 way switch. The guitar has the stock TBX tone system where the lower tone knob works works on the bridge pickup, unlike the traditional wiring. I am wondering if after installation, the Free-Way switch can be wired so that the bridge would still be connected to the TBX pot.

I have spent a couple of years building pedals, starting as a complete noob, but modding guitars is new to me. I just finished my first ever pickup replacement and mod an another strat.

Here is the switch:

Here is the wring diagram (I would be doing the "SSS Parallel Series Scheme A 1V/2T")

goldenboy

Here's the same wiring with the middle PU tone being jettisoned for bridge tone. (SSS Scheme A2 1V/2T)
https://www.freewayswitch.com/schematics-blade/
Click on the PDF under
5B5-01 Model - Schemes for SSS / HSS Guitar
3 Pickups & 3 Pots (2)
5B5-01 3 Pot (N & B Tones) Part 1.pdf
Oh I didn't see that. Thanks.

But I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a way to have all 3 pickups connected to a tone pot. Some jumper wire that would make on pot for the bridge and middle, and the other pot for the neck. Or vice versa.

bigtone23

Oh I didn't see that. Thanks.

But I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a way to have all 3 pickups connected to a tone pot. Some jumper wire that would make on pot for the bridge and middle, and the other pot for the neck. Or vice versa.
You could try a jumper from BH to MH on that tone control. Not sure how it works on a Free-way, though.

...Some jumper wire that would make on pot for the bridge and middle, and the other pot for the neck. Or vice versa...
It's not obvious how. I doubt that it can be done with that switch because it would mess up the serial/parallel switching - a common tone pot would tie the hot output wires together and prevent serial connection.

Seems to be limited to either master tone, or dedicate-tone-to-specific-pickup, as per their wiring diagrams.

TBX could be connected as a bridge tone, other tone for the neck, and middle will only get a tone when in positions 2 & 4.

Or get another dual gang pot for the central tone knob position. One gang for neck, one gang for middle, common mechanical position (not concentric pots). TBX for bridge on other tone knob.

goldenboy

It's not obvious how. I doubt that it can be done with that switch because it would mess up the serial/parallel switching - a common tone pot would tie the hot output wires together and prevent serial connection.

Seems to be limited to either master tone, or dedicate-tone-to-specific-pickup, as per their wiring diagrams.

TBX could be connected as a bridge tone, other tone for the neck, and middle will only get a tone when in positions 2 & 4.

Or get another dual gang pot for the central tone knob position. One gang for neck, one gang for middle, common mechanical position (not concentric pots). TBX for bridge on other tone knob.
I see. I have emailed them actually to ask them about it. Someone on another board had an experience where he wanted a certain wiring and they sent him a diagram.

The dual gang pot in a cool idea. Or get another TBX for the central tone knob! I have thought in the past that the neck might benefit from that concept.

goldenboy

I heard back from Free-Way. They sent a an original and revised diagram for me.

The only thing is that he said this:

"We have an idea for doing this by adding a further capacitor as shown in this variation of scheme B018:-"

So while I appreciate the time he took to look into it, I'm not sure if it's an "idea" that might work, or an idea that will work.

Also, the diagrams available on they site show capacitors connected to tone pots with out any value. Should I use what is already in the guitar?

bsacamano

I can't answer your question but I finally got around to installing the 10 way free-way switch on my strat and I'm loving it! The differences are quite noticable. It opens up a whole bunch of new sounds.

goldenboy

I can't answer your question but I finally got around to installing the 10 way free-way switch on my strat and I'm loving it! The differences are quite noticable. It opens up a whole bunch of new sounds.
That's great! I'm looking forward to trying it.

The modified diagram Free-Way sent adds another wire and cap so the middle tone is controlling the neck and middle. I'll just get another one of what value is already on that pot and give it a try.

Trending Topics