1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Free-Way Pickup Switch: Any Reviews or Information?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Halowords, May 20, 2011.

1. Halowords

Halowords Member

So I'm interested in the Free-Way Pickup Switch. As seen here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...y_Pickup_Switch.html?tab=Instructions#details

I am curious if anybody has used these and has general opinions of the functionality, quality, longevity, usability, etc., etc.

I'm also curious if you'd be able to use it as a pickup switch and still be able to use push/pull knobs for things like out-of-phase, series, coil-splitting, and the like, of if the Free-Way would use up the wires and make such a setup not feasible. I suppose with six options I should be able to work SOMETHING out, but figured I might as well try to get a handle on what is and is not available with a setup like that.

I'd also be interested if it's possible to go from the Free-Way back to a standard 3-Way Toggle. Not that I'd plan on that, but just as a last resort sort of deal.

-Cheers

2. Halowords

Halowords Member

So has anybody used one or heard anything good or bad about this?

-Cheers

3. Halowords

Halowords Member

A bit of a bump, I suppose. However, this thread seems to have a fair bit of info just in case anybody else is interested.

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wiring&action=display&thread=5542&page=1

I think I'm going for it. I think it should do just about everything I want. I'm presuming I can use the HHH/HSH wiring from the PDF and get the middle pickup by itself by just turning the volume off one of the other pickups when it's in 4, 5, or 6, and hopefully can still add a coil-splitting for the humbucker (or turn down the mid pickup when in position 6 to the the humbucker split by itself), 5 already looks like it has all the pickups for the in-a-series option. If I can do all that and add a push/pull out-of-phase, I think that will give me pretty much everything I could ask for, and keep it looking pretty clean and minimalistic on the cosmetic side of things.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-0040/i-0040.pdf

Wish me luck! If anybody happens to have any experience with this, feel free to chime in, just thought if anybody else stumbled across this and had interest it might help to collocate the info as this seems relatively new and uncharted.

-Cheers

4. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I was going to get a couple of those, but a lot of the reviews I've read talk about how flimsy they are?
    -
    Austin

5. Halowords

Halowords Member

Hmmmmm . . . I hadn't read that. Then again, I have not really found much of anything about them from people who had actually used the things.

-Cheers

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

There are some reviews on Stewmac and a few mention it.
    -
    Austin