Freeze and equivalent pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mdc1, Mar 27, 2018.

1. mdc1

mdc1 Member

Noticed the EHX Freeze pedal. Interesting for practice, etc.

Beyond this product, what others provide similar and advanced functionality like it? Or are we just talking about looper pedals and that is the boundary?

2. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

3. Tandark

Tandark Member

4. WeZ-84

WeZ-84 Member

Take a look at the EHX Superego and Superego+

5. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Also the Gamechanger Audio PLUS pedal - I love mine, and find it very intuitive in practical use.

NicDo and Serenity like this.
  6. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Good thread. That Gamechanger looks NICE.
    I've been meaning to pick up something like this.
    I've been using Exp on my delay for it but want a sustain pedal type function

7. Creepwood

Creepwood Member

Chiming in to second the Plus Pedal - very, very cool and usable.

Ilduce and Serenity like this.
  8. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Andy's demo of the Superego+ was pretty bad (and I am a fan).
    This one is good though.

I am curious how these sound with Fuzz

Squatch57 likes this.
  9. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

I'm going to give the Superego+ a try.
    I didn't realize it could be used as a Multi-effects with Exp control or just putting the effects on the Freeze notes.

Just have to see how it sounds in person.

10. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Playing the Superego+ a bit. Definitely a well thought out pedal with lots of possibilities.

The "Filter" effect lets you roll off the top end and your frozen tone will sound very separated form your dry tone.
    The Pitch effect has a good Octave down that sounds like a smooth analog bass synth. USEFUL.
    The Gliss setting makes the note transitions nice and smooth.

The Effects as a standalone are pretty limited but I'll have to try them in context to see how they hold up.
    The Tremelo is GENIUS with frozen notes. I'll use that for sure.

NicDo likes this.
  11. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

EHX HOG had the Freeze first, then they gave it it's own pedal.

12. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Another BIG feature with the Superego+

You can connect a triple footswitch and expression pedal and then mount the pedal on a stand or tabletop.
    That's how I would use it live

Crazyquilt likes this.
  13. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner Member

The SuperEgo+ is great. There’s so much to learn on it and I welcome that challenge. I highly recommend attaching an expression pedal to it: being able to save presets with the EXP has opened up new possibilities for me and it’s convenient to recall your settings at a gig. The presets you make are saved after you power the unit down.

I consider using the multi effects engine with the synth engine disabled to be icing on the cake. It’s nice functionality to have but not the main show. The multi effects used alone are serviceable. Do I have most of them all ready covered? Yes. Do I have all of them? No. I don’t have a stand-alone tremolo pedal and the SE+ two tremolo options fills that void convincingly. There’s just so many possibilities... only have one delay pedal on your board? Congratulations, you can now stack the SE delay into it... if you want to!

I haven’t experienced any limitation with running the SE+ on my bass board. It lives there now. The octave down sounds good and there’s no tracking issues. I’m still discovering cool things each time I use it. It’s an inspiring pedal to write with.

John Mark Painter and NicDo like this.
  14. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

The Pitch Whammy Expression control is a nice bonus.
    Polyphonic tracking is very good. You can dive bomb a whole chord very nicely

I ditched my Whammy in 99 due to Nashville over-use :)
    It's a nice gadget to have on hand though.

I am really interested in running it full effect in auto mode to a second amp as a synth pad along with a crunchy amp

15. loziodavid

loziodavid Member

Me too I'm looking for the EHX Freeze. Retaining a chord on an infinite loop and then jam over it with pentatonic and major scales, would be fun both at home and on stage/rehearsal.

The Freeze is the most simple and cheap sound retainer on the market. The Superego and Superego+ are very similar to the Freeze. The main difference is that these 2 pedals have a lot of integrated modulation effects. But, if there's a nice modulation/delay/reverb section in your setup (analog pedals or digital multifx), the integrated effects of the SuperEgo become unnecessary. This is why I'm just looking for the Freeze; I already have a wide palette of modulations, reverb and delays in my Nux Cerberus.

Anyway, maybe you missed this....

...and the latch mode is available pressing down the tap tempo button while powering on the pedal.

I add that all the Boss DD series delays (DD2, DD3, DD5, DD7) have an hold function that is equivalent to the Fast setting of the EHX Freeze. They retain the sound until you press the pedal. The latch mode is impossibile with them.

neuman likes this.
  16. Serenity

Serenity Member

This is the one on my shopping list

Soothsayer and Dave Wakely like this.
  17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I love my Superego+ even more than I did the original. The new effects are really nice, but the big advantage imo is the additions to the auto mode -- threshold, attack, etc. I never used the auto mode on the original, in part because I didn't like the way it triggered, and in part because the plain freeze sound was so generic. Now, I use it all the time.

The Infinite Jets also has similar functionality, as well as a bunch of other fun stuff although also not cheap.

I'm terribly interested in the Gamechanger pedal, but I'm already really happy with/invested in my SE+.

18. DeathYon

DeathYon Member

How do you get a freeze-esque sound from a dd7? I've never run across that with mine.

19. loziodavid

loziodavid Member

I sold my DD2 many years ago, I cannot verifiy if it works or not, but the Hold mode is like a regular looper you can find in almost all delay pedals. If you play a chord, then press soon the pedal with "Hold mode" ON, then press the pedal again, that chord is played endlessly.

Instead of playing a chord progression like this guy, you can play just one chord, get that infinite keyboard-like effect, and then jam over it with your guitar

The problem, as I said, is that the latch mode is impossibile with Boss DD (and with all the delay/loopers), so if you press again the pedal while the chord is playing endlessly, the chord will stop immediately to allow you to record a new lick/chord progression.
    You cannot change chords fluidly from C to G to Am and so on....
    Only the EHX Freeze allows this, as the Freeze, when you press again the switch, does not interrupt the playback of the chord and it gets ready to record again, but it starts to record the next chord immediately and put in on "Playback"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  20. bottom crawler

bottom crawler Member

Also Hexe Revolver(s) and MWFX Judder.