Freeze/Infinite hold options?

Turi

Hi guys.

I'm looking to head towards some kind of infinite hold pedal as my next purchase, after a little help.

I notice the Freeze, Cathedral and Superego all have infinite hold possibilities, maybe there's some others too that someone can suggest.

I've got a few questions though to help maybe narrow it down to what might fit me the most.

Does the Cathedral have any way to use infinite hold in a latch mode kind of way? If not, might as well scrap this one.
I can't use my Hazarai's 1sec + rev mode and also an infinite hold that requires holding the pedal at the same time, unless I'm sitting down.

Does the Superego have a whole lot more to offer than the Freeze?
I've watched some demos and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it actually does.
Is the Superego essentially a souped up Freeze pedal?

With the Freeze, I can use it in either latch mode, or use it in a way where I have to hold the button down, right?

Are ALL of the above just tiny parts of what the HOG can do, but rehoused?

See I'm actually interested in the Pitch Fork as well, or at least some kind of pitch shifting pedal/harmonizing pedal, and I like the way it operates for the most part (latch or hold button).

Also I am definitely in want of a reverb pedal for creating cool sounds - but I think I could find something better sounding than the Cathedral to combine with the Freeze or Superego, but I don't know, never played any of them.

I suppose the biggest question I have now, after typing this and kind of ruling the Cathedral out, is the Superego really worth the extra $$$?
There's actually none I can find used in Australia, so I'd wind up having to buy new VS a used Freeze (which I have found).

The way I intend to use the pedal is just as a creative tool, not something I would use all the time every song, just something that will mostly help add an extra layer or texture to certain sections of songs so that I can play over the top of it.

FWIW - my other pedal is an EHX SMMH and I've got a Lumberjack on the way, mostly after something unique but I don't think that's really possible with something that just holds a sound.

I'm also not intentionally looking at EHX they just seem to pop up while I'm trying to hunt down some quirky/unique pedals.
Totally open to other pedals that can do the hold thing!

If someone can help me understand what the Superego does a little more that would be sick.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a MASF Raptio does freeze and infinite repeat (glitching) with a momentary switch. You can also adjust the dry signal when engaging the effect.

I also own a DOD DFX9 which does infinite repeat forever. Cool pedal.

Turi

I bought a MASF Raptio does freeze and infinite repeat (glitching) with a momentary switch. You can also adjust the dry signal when engaging the effect.

I also own a DOD DFX9 which does infinite repeat forever. Cool pedal.
Cheers mate.

I checked them both out - the MASF Raptio sounds kind of weird.. unique for sure, I didn't really like it though.
There's a comparison vid of it VS the Freeze on youtube and I didn't like how it sounded in comparison to the Freeze.

The DOD DFX9 seems great, will definitely look more into that one.

Somehow, when I had the DOD DFX9 vid playing, the some Neunaber thing was on the sidebar with an infinite hold demo.

I checked that out, and actually really liked what I heard - the dude used an expression pedal to trigger the hold, and to fade it away as well.

That almost sounds perfect for me - I've already been a little curious about the Neunaber pedals because they seem so versatile and great value for money - never knew they could do an infinite hold and definitely didn't expect to be able to control it with an expression pedal.

I'm already wanting a nice reverb pedal anyway, and a second delay would be cool to mess with as well.
Though I'd need two of them to do that at the same time, it might be worth it for the versatility.

Really cool to find out they can do an infinite hold though since I was already thinking of a WET for some 'verb, and the Seraphim sounds great too.

Does anyone know whether I can the infinite hold function takes over the whole pedal?

Am I able to have infinite hold available through an expression pedal, and still have say, the WET reverb as the basic pedal effect?

If so then that's totally killer and I'll head that way, if not - balls.

Might ask this in the Neunaber thread too, since the topic title might not attract people who know.

I know the Echolution 2 does a freeze thing with the footswitch.

The Superego, as I've always known it, is more or less a glorified Freeze. It has the loop which allows you to add effects to the frozen signal.

The Freeze is perfect in that it is small, it is intuitive, and it is versatile.

Turi

Cheers mate.

The Echolution 2 is a bit pricey and I don't think I need another delay.. looks pretty big too.

I don't think I'd need or want to add effects to the frozen signal...

I'm not sure if the Neunaber can do what I'd like it to do.. I think the Freeze might just be what I'm after.

Great point with it being small. I don't want to hog up loads of space for one effect that I'd only use occasionally.

Gold Supporting Member
If you're looking for infinite hold, and are interested in a pitch shifting pedal, I would have to recommend a HOG. I know it goes against your size constraint, but it's really not that much bigger than 2 separate pedals, and it does a LOT more. The cost of a used HOG will also be ballpark with 2 separate pedals. Just something to consider.

I never played a freeze, but I had a superego and HOG at the same time. The SE does some things that the HOG doesn't, but I flipped the SE and kept the HOG.

lhama

The loop of the SE is it's selling point, imo. The freezed note or chord can be a bit nasal and ugly, but paired with the right pedals, it can be great. A pog2, a bit of chorus and phaser can get you Solina string synth or mellotron sounds.

cubistguitar

I use the freeze functions of my Red Panda Particle a lot. It's a cool sound, just have to set the "chop" knob to "freeze" levels and take the ride. It cleverly let's you play when ever you want and just holds the last thing you play, you turn the knob more CW for a longer sample. It also has some other wicked effects onboard like pitchshifting, and reverse delay and random delay effects.

JDre19

Eventide Timefactor (repeat button)
Eventide Space (infinite/ freeze on all reverb)
Line 6 M-series (particle verb does infinite decay freeze)
Freeze/ Superego
Cathedral
Big Sky/ Blue Sky/ Flint/ WET (have near infinite decay)
Neunaber infinite hold software

Im sure there are more but those of the top of my head.

EwingChi

There are two main differences between the Superego and Freeze:

1) Effects loop, as others have mentioned

2) Gliss - glides from ones from frozen note to the next (pitchwise), that you may think is cool or not

The Superego also has an "auto" mode, which I can't remember if the Freeze has. This detects the notes in real time and adds the gliss, and you can hold the switch down to freeze at a certain point. This is my favorite mode, with some modulation in the effects loop and a healthy amount of dry signal coming through. Can't really describe it, but it is a very cool sound.

hydroquebec

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Cathedral just freeze the reverb signal? I think this is the same as Infinite on the Eventide pedals.

I think Superego and Freeze might be more appropriate here, since they freeze the dry signal. (Maybe this is the same as Eventide's Freeze mode)

Blue Bee

I would think the Neunaber is superior to the exh freeze... Is it not?

Never played either but that's the one I would be leaning towards... Anyone compared both?

Lution

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Cathedral just freeze the reverb signal? I think this is the same as Infinite on the Eventide pedals.

I think Superego and Freeze might be more appropriate here, since they freeze the dry signal. (Maybe this is the same as Eventide's Freeze mode)
The Eventide SPACE has both Infinite and Freeze functions. There are different effects.

deeohgee

I use the freeze functions of my Red Panda Particle a lot. It's a cool sound, just have to set the "chop" knob to "freeze" levels and take the ride. It cleverly let's you play when ever you want and just holds the last thing you play, you turn the knob more CW for a longer sample. It also has some other wicked effects onboard like pitchshifting, and reverse delay and random delay effects.
I'm getting one on the weekend, can wait to see what it can do!

ziton

I use my old boss dd-3 to make that hold thing and it works perfect for my needs.

Tapatalked!!!

AdamSH89

There are a few ZCAT pedals that offer this option. They seem a little pricey for stateside buyers, but they're based out of the U.K. I believe, so you might have an easier time getting ahold of them for a good price. There is also the Neunaber hold function on his stereo pedals, but I'm not convinced that the expression options would justify the price for your uses. Good luck brother. Hope you find what you're looking for.

hendrik7

Eventide's Freeze function freezes the current reverb signal indefinitely and stops feeding new signal to the reverb effect.

Eventide's Infinite function keeps feeding every new signal(from the guitar etc) to the reverb with infinite decay. If you wanna blow up a speaker you can probably use this function for a couple minutes, adding layers upon layers of infinite reverb. :)

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I use the BigSky with a latching midi pedal so I can trigger infinite or freeze reverbs hat hold until I click the switch a second time. Infinite and Freeze are distinct effects through- freeze holds a single sampled sound, while infinite adds each progressive note to the reverb trail.

beexter

From what I can tell, the Superego can do everything the Freeze can and more. The effects loop on the Superego means you can apply effects to the "wet signal" like chorus, vibrato, octave etc which will then hold, giving you a lot more variety for background sounds without affecting the "dry" guitar sound which can have other effects applied to it. With the Freeze, effects will apply to both wet and dry signals. Having researched both, I've got a Superego on the way.