Freezing tracks in Pro Tools?

codyprang

Is it possible to freeze tracks in Pro Tools, in order to take some load off of the cpu? I used to use Audition and by the time we got to vocals, I had to start freezing tracks. The PC I'm using is a dual core with 3 gb of RAM, which isn't bad. This is the only thing I'm concerned about. Maybe this could be better for me, forcing me try new things to get better sounds. While I was messing with some plugins, I noticed the red RTAS circle in the top right corner of the box. What does that do? I was hoping that it had something to do with freezing tracks.. but probably doesn't. This probably sounds really dumb to some of you, but I need some help with it. Thanks

Cody

bluestarbass

what do u mean freezing tracks. Are you wanting to take unused tracks out of the mix or free up your processor from rtas plugins? I think you mean the second. What I like to do is once im happy with the way a track sounds, assign its out to another track and record the audio out onto that track. That way your still getting the advantage of the sounds of the plugins, but you lose the ability to alter the plugins after that obviously. I do find that somewhat liberating, that way im not second guessing myself and messing with a plugin for 2 hours.

codyprang

what do u mean freezing tracks. Are you wanting to take unused tracks out of the mix or free up your processor from rtas plugins? I think you mean the second. What I like to do is once im happy with the way a track sounds, assign its out to another track and record the audio out onto that track. That way your still getting the advantage of the sounds of the plugins, but you lose the ability to alter the plugins after that obviously. I do find that somewhat liberating, that way im not second guessing myself and messing with a plugin for 2 hours.

Yeah, I meant the second one. Thanks for the advice.

yesteryear

Wow I wish Pro Tools had the same function as Audition. I find I get bogged down by the time I get to vocals as well seeing as I usually mix them in last.

In mix view, down at the bottom of each channel strip there is a place where you can right click and disable the tracks. I do it for reamp tracks all the time.

Also, as mentioned, bussing a track down helps.

The track if disabled will NOT play, but it can be helpful to lighten the CPU load.

I haven't used PT in a few monthes so I'm a touch rusty, but that's how I got around the 32 track limit in PTLE.

Tim

Trending Topics

Top Bottom