Frenzel Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gibson 1964, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

I have been playing for around 15 years now and I have had some good gear. A friend introduced me to frenzel amps and I have been hooked ever since. I was curious what the general perception around here is on them. I own a hotbox wildcat 30 and the frenzel champ pro.

I have to say, they seem to me to be light years ahead of the other amps I have played but far more affordable. I use the champ as a bedroom amp and the wildcat giging out all through an avatar 1x12 with a celestion gold.

I wish they had a true high gain amp to add to the collection.

Are there any ohter comparable bang for buck amps out there? I mean, who the heck heard of a Frenzel except by word of mouth.

2. mohowski

mohowski Member

How close can you get to a chimey AC-30ish tone with that Hotbox Wildcat 30? What speakers are you using with it.

I first saw the Frenzels on Ebay, and I'm really thinking about getting a Frenzel Hotbox Ac-15 or Wildcat but I really don't like the way they look (silly reason to not buy an amp, i know). I'll probably end up getting the Hotbox Ac-15 and building a tolex cab for it.

3. XKnight

XKnight Member

I had a Frenzel 5E3 and loved it. However, I don't gig and found the 25 watts it produced to be more than I need. I couldn't get the real tone benefits of the amp at home volumes. I ended up getting a Gries 5 and it sounds very similar to the Frenzel except I can get it to crunch at home volumes with no problem. The cleans on both amps are stellar.

4. XGodfree43X

XGodfree43X Member

I have a BUD 50 and along with an OD808, it's as high gain as you can ever want. I have a VHT Deliverance and early Mesa Racktifier and the Frenzel is by far my favorite tone out of all three.

I would LOVE to find a BUD or MMX2 100.

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

6. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

I have the 5E3 as well. What a great little amp. Jim is a great guy to deal with too.
    I have tried a few different types of power tubes to try and take advantage of the versatility. I found that either the 5881 or the EL34 worked best for me.
    I have it set for a Plexi type sound at present (using Marshall input) with Winged C EL34's, RFT ECC83 and sylvania 12ax7 PI. Jan Philips 5U4 rectifier.
    Very good ACDC type tones.
    Not a big fan of the EH's that came standard with the amp however.
    For a new production tube format (Plexi type tone) I found that a Tungsol 12ax7 in V1,a Ruby (chinese) 12ax7 in V2 EH in PI and JJ GZ34 Rectifier also gave good results.

7. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

Has anyone tried his champ style single ended amp. I am looking for any amp that is similar to the univalve but not the univalve. I have had my eye on the Emery Superbaby but the Frenzel is much cheaper. Any Opinions?

8. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

Well I just got the champ pro. I was looking for low watt with it, so I tried out a 6k6 RCA NOS and a 6v6 RCA NOS I had on hand and I really like the 6k6 in there. Very mean little amp. I have the hammond OT in mine which lets me use it with my alnico gold avatar 1x12. (stock when I ordered it, it came only as an 8 ohm version. That may have changed.)

I get a very AC30ish clean tone with the wildcat on the clean channel with the NFB defeated. But once again, I am using that alnico gold which adds to the voxy vibe a good bit.

I believe the BUD and such were put out by his son and those amps are substantially more expensive. I picked up the wildcat used on ebay with a BIN for around $500. I currently have JJ's in the wildcat, and an EH 12ax7 and a RCA 6k6 in the champ pro.

Really great guy to deal with. I have had a bunch of questions and he has always answered them.

I want to find an MMX2.

I really love these amps. My two of them together were under a grand. Can't beat that with a stick.

My wildcat came as the black head with a plexi front. I am going to make a sort of matching head for the champ pro.