Frenzel Champ vs. Ceriatone vs. ?? (bedroom amp)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trumpus, Feb 17, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I was wondering anyone here had any input - I am looking for a low-wattage bedroom-style amp. I am not looking to spend a ton of cash, and have come across the Frenzel Champs and the Ceriatone Vibro Champ.

Does anyone have any experience with either? Are there other amps in this price range that I should consider?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Both those amps will be too loud to play at night in a bedroom. So to me they are not considered bedroom amps. If you had a powerscaled champ then you could play at night in the bedroom. I guess you could pull it off with an attenuator, and an inefficient speaker.

Also have you done a search? There are literally hundreds of posts about this subject.

dk

3. trumpus

5W is too loud? Really? I had a BLues jr and at 15W I felt this was too loud. I played the Blackheart 5W head at a store and thought 5W was a good volume...

...am I that far off? I HAVE done a search for bedroom amps and found all the info, but am specifically looking for any experience with the Frenzel or the Ceriatone 5W'ers....

Thanks!

Brian

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

To save us from having to look it up, what price range are we talking about?

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Well it depends on what your definition of is, is....

If you want the amp to be quiet enough to play at night without disturbing anyone sleeping, you need a power scaled amp, or one with an excellent master volume, or some sort of isolation cab. Of course none of this stuff is cheap.

Well I couldn't use a Valve Junior in a bed room setting. With a big cab that little 5watt head could keep up with most blues jams! I was very surprised with its volume.

If you want to just practice, you might be better off with a moddeller and some nice stereo phones.

I think there are also some 1 watt tube amps, but they will not be cheap. You might get Nik at Ceriatone to build one for you though. He is pretty flexible if you ask nicely! Shoot him an email. Good luck.

dk

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I forgot, I had one of those Vox Valvetronix AD50VT 1x12" combos. It was pretty nice sounding, and had a cool built in power soak type thing. I used it with an extension cab for gigs, and then would keep the same settings on the amp, and just roll the little knob on the back, down to the lowest possible setting. Sounded pretty good. Was it as good as a champ pushed at a loud volume? No, but it was more versatile and had some decent effects built in. Good amp, just not great. But you might want to consider those.

dk

7. trumpus

Under $600, ideally under $400...

Brian

8. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

i have a ceriatone vibrochamp, and I love it. I may be doing the tweed mod to it so I can get enough volume out of it to play it live (and get a little more mids), but I use my vibro-champ to teach guitar lessons every day, and I think it's the perfect bedroom amp (if you keep it clean and don't try to OD it, then it gets pretty loud).

9. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

superchamp XD

i have been through the microbaby, swart spacetone 6v6se, 2 vox valvetronixs, a few old bogens, silvertones, valco/supros, bumbox, microcube, lovepedal 1/2 watter, and a couple other small combos I am forgetting, and i thought i would never find the right bedroom amp. until I found the SCXD.

you want raging champ tones, its got em. you want clean blackface tones, its got them too. best 300 i ever spent on an amp no question.

10. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

We have a Ceriatone BF Vibro Champ head. The clean tone is wonderful, the Trem works great, has plenty of volume into a 1x12 cab of your choice. These things are very well made and have much bigger transformers than the original Fenders did. I can't imagine somebody being unhappy with it.

11. trumpus

So, I ended up with a Blackheart 5W head and a cab - definately sounds good, but I have since become interested in the Superchamp XD also!

Brian

12. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

cool, those blackhearts are amazing amps for the price. congrats