Frenzel clips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tjs, May 12, 2006.

1. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Anybody got any? Those amps would be a steal at that price if they are any good, but he still doesn't have his website up and I can't find clips anywhere. [Seinfeld]What's the deal with that?[/Seinfeld]

2. tjs

tjs Senior Member

3. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

mine just shipped today, ask me in a week or so! :cool:

4. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Cool.:cool:

At that price, if these things turn out to be any good I predict a massive run on them by TGP members. Then again, he's been selling them for a while, so if they were really a great deal I would think that the word on them would have spread by now.:confused:

5. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Has it come in yet? Has it? Has it?:crazyguy

I think I'm almost as eager to hear your opinion of that amp (and, if/when you get the chance, some clips) as you are to get it. :D

6. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

it arrived yesterday, so far I'm diggin it but only got to play a little while, will try and post some info by tomorrow! -Guy

7. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Thanks. Looking forward to it.:)

8. ari

ari Member

Just to let you know that I'm awaiting your impressions also. There's not a lot of info on their amps, which look very attractive on paper.

Thanks!

ari

9. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

first, here's the one I bought:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7407084664&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMERFB%3AIID&rd=1

It arrived exactly on time, well packed, good communication from Jim Frenzel in between.

It's a cute little thang, compact and very light (aluminum chassis). Cosmetics are fine, looks like the pictures, nothing fancy but it's a professional job.

The sound is outstanding, it definitely lives in the Allmans/Mule territory, reminds me a lot of my old Germino Masonette. Nice master volume, I'm having lots of fun leaving my pedals on the shelf. I mainly play a Les Paul or 335, fwiw. Using a 1x12 Cannabis Rex cab. Fat searing overdrive is easy to achieve. Not a metal amp I wouldn't think. Cleans are excellent in the bassman/marshall style, no blackface in there that I can hear (that's fine for me). The bass hangs tighter than I expected, there's more than enough so I keep it turned low. Minor nitpicks: the "F"(fendery) and "M" (marshally) inputs are eq'ed quite differently, with the F being much bassier and the M emphasizing high mids, so I have to set the eq much different when I switch from one to another. Because of that I don't think I'd be able to A/B the two very easily, though a Y-cord might be fun and I'll try it. I can find sounds I like a lot in both though, and they're different though subtly so once I've eq'ed to my taste. Haven't tried EL34s yet but I will, and some different preamp tubes, the stock EH tubes sound fine though. The standby and on positions share a LED, it glows dimly for standby and is barely visible in daylight but ok at night, it glows fully in the playing position and is easy to see then. I predict a lot of living room, band rehearsal and small club use for this one, and will try a dual-amp thing with my Germino Lead 55 for bigger places. The Lead55 has more "heft" to its sound, but needs a pedal in all but the largest venues (and attenuation too, often). The Frenzel sounds really good just plug 'n play. We'll be in the studio next week to start tracking a cd, and I expect this amp will be all over the finished product. Bottom line, highly recommended. Clips to follow eventually, questions gladly answered. -GFI

10. ari

ari Member

Awesome, thanks for that, GFI!

I do have some questions:
    -What do you think of the "Edge" switch?
    -Clean head room?
    -Gain difference between F and M voices? Like M can get loud clean or F get overdrive?

Thanks again.

ari

11. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

-hmmmm, haven't tried the "edge" thing, I think mine has it, I'll have to report back on that one...
    -clean headroom seems wattage-appropriate, I never play squeaky clean but I think it should handle Dickey Betts clean at my 4-piece rock band's small-club levels.
    -I hear similar gain levels in the F and M voices, I keep them both very low and the master up for cleans, and at about 12:00 both the F and M are gainy enough for most of what I play (Mule or Crowes level of gain, for example). In my mind I can hear a little more Soldano/Mesa when the F voice is cranked, and more plexi/alu when the M is cranked, but I might be projecting my preconceptions a little bit :D

12. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I'm sold. I'll probably wait to hear some clips, but if they live up to your review, this amp is just what I'm looking for.

I know you mainly use HB guitars (as do I), but do you think this amp could cover Hendrix clean territory? How about Robbie Robertson crunch?

Thanks for the review.

13. jsped

jsped Member

I have the same amp and second "Bare Wires" review. (Sorry no clips.)

14. tjs

tjs Senior Member

So...any new news?

15. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

My buddy has one of the 5e3 Plus's and it's a smoker. He had Jim add an fx loop and a line out. He's tried 6v6, 6l6, EL34 and 84's with yellow jackets. You just can't make this amp sound bad. No one tube stands out because they all sound spectacular with their own individual voicing. The f and m sides are very different from one another and are usefull when using an a/b pedal to channel switch. For the $, it's a great deal on a very versatile tone monster.

16. thor666

thor666 Member

That just sounds incredible.

I ordered mine, and it's probably on construction now. Should take a while to ship over to Singapore. It's a risk, but heck, I'll take the risk... :)

17. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

Played KT88's through the Frenzel tonight.....run, don't walk to pick up a set for this amp. Incredible tones, blend the warm lows of the 6l6 with the tightness of an EL34 and everything else that is great about both tubes and you have it all in the KT88. Huge, tight lows prominent mids and warm but very articulate highs.

18. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Which model do you have? I see 3 different models. Can anybody tell me the difference?

Bias test points? No?

Email for Jim¿

Thanks,
    M.E.

19. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Jim's had his new site up for about a month now, and I just ordered one of these. :cool:

20. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Hey JumpMarine, any chance you might be able to make a quick clip of this amp in action?