Frenzel Tube Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pete12string, May 29, 2019.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Never heard of them. Anybody have any experience with Frenzel Tube Amps? They look nice on paper. The ones that caught my interest are:
    • Deluxe Plus 525
    • Mini Bassman 540
    • Super Bassman Bluesbreaker 550

2. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Had a Deluxe Plus, really nice amp. Can’t go wrong at the prices they sell at.

3. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

Have the Super Deluxe 40w. Great amp. Works as a pedal platform and gets a good grind on its own as well. Can be punishingly loud and the master works good enough to bring it down to whisper levels.

Fret-O'File and pete12string like this.
  4. Ezzy911

Ezzy911 Member

Have had the super bassman bluesbreaker for 5 years or so. Awesome amp. Great tones and also a nice loop for pedals. Love that amp.

5. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    I had the Super Deluxe and his version of the Champ. Very low [almost non existent] noise floor and great cleans. Also liked the power tube swap capability.

Great folks to work with!

Russ

Fret-O'File, mwhy and pete12string like this.
  6. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

Yep, I've owned a few, and currently have one. Jim's a great guy, and as others have said, the amps are a great bang for the buck!

7. JJ321

JJ321 Member

I love the Deluxe Plus. I bought one 10 years ago, owned it for a couple of years and then foolishly sold it. I picked up another one about 6 years ago and it's been with me ever since. They work great for a clean pedal platform.

8. Somanytoys

Somanytoys Member

I've had a Deluxe Plus/Plexi for about 10 years or so now, and I recently bought a Retro Deluxe/Plexi with the JCM800 option. Crazy great amps, and it's worth getting all of the options you afford when you buy it. He offers affordable options like an effects loop, attenuator, a tube driven tremolo, a footpedal for the Edge boost, dual rectifier, all kinds of fund stuff.

One day I want to get the Sweet Little 30 (AC30/Matchless Hotbox) head.

He makes great amps, you won't regret it if you buy one. May take about a month or so for them to build it, but they keep you updated at various stages.

9. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Super Deluxe 50w owner for several years. Fantastic amp.
    Blending the two channels together makes the amp more dimensional.

Fret-O'File, pete12string and mwhy like this.
  10. Somanytoys

Somanytoys Member

Haven't ever tried that yet, I just use the 2 different amps into different cabs. Interesting, though, I may have to check it out.

pete12string and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  11. Fret-O'File

Fret-O'File Supporting Member

I bought a Deluxe Plus 5/25 a couple of years ago and I love it.
    It has built-in attenuator Full/Half/1/4 that works really well.
    I got mine with an FX Loop, Tube/Solid State Rectifier option, and the added JCM800 gain stage.
    If I had to order again I would probably skip the JCM800 upgrade. I almost always use it as a clean pedal platform so no need for the higher gain option.
    I would probably not get the Tube/SS rectifier option either as I almost always use the tube. It did come in handy once when I blew the rectifier tube and was still able to use the amp until I got a new tube.
    It's a great sounding amp and really sounds great with pedals.
    Jim was a pleasure to deal with.
    They were busy at the time I ordered so it took about two months to receive but it was well worth the wait.

pete12string likes this.
  12. Somanytoys

Somanytoys Member

I got the same options on my Retro Deluxe, along with the footswitch for the Edge feature. I wish I had gotten whichever of these options were available at the time on my older Deluxe, but I'm not sure if he'd be interested in retro-fitting it or not, although he's a very nice guy and might. I just figure it's much easier (and cheaper) in the manufacturing/building stage. I always wonder how much I would have liked trying out the tube tremolo, but I have 2 Fulltone Supatrem pedals, and while I'm sure the tube tremolo is something different, it's not really necessary.

I haven't really tried the dual rectifier option to see the difference, but I got it both to try out and exactly for what you said above - just in case the tube ever goes out, it will still work.

I typically use lots of pedals, so I also mostly use the Deluxe or Retro Deluxe one one amp and the Plexi on the other, so that the sounds complement each other. But I like having the JCM800 upgrade simply because I've always loved and wanted a JCM800, and now I (sort of) have one. Plus this makes it like having 3 amps in one. It's amazing how much louder it is than the Plexi when you pull the knob, I wasn't quite ready for that the first time, and it wasn't turned up all that loud to begin with.

They really are great sounding amps. Of course it matters what speakers and cabinets that you pair them with (just like the amps they're designed around), but I like them enough that I think I'd rather buy Frenzel's AC30 than a Vox.

13. EK1949

EK1949 Member

I had a Deluxe Plus Retro which my brother now has. Now I have to scheme to get it back, or maybe get the 40 watt version. It was the most versatile amp I owned.

mwhy, Fret-O'File and pete12string like this.
  14. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Had one, and stupidly sold it, I need to get one back!! I had the 40 watt deluxe plus. I wonder how the deluxe models differ from the bassman models, as they list the same features. Great cleans, not much dirt on the one I had, which was fine with me! Can't beat the price.

Kurt

Fret-O'File, mwhy and pete12string like this.
  15. EK1949

EK1949 Member

The only difference between the Deluxe Plus 540 and the Mini Bassman is the Retro option. While the Bassman can be ordered with KT88s as an upcharge option, the Deluxe Plus models will run them, too.

My Deluxe Plus was a Retro with 3 6SL7s, but even with a 12AX7 in V1 using an adapter it didn't have much overdrive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019