Frequency Content: Tone Questions about BJF Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Monster Plexi, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Before placing an order for a BJ pedal, I have done some extensive research here as well as at Musictoyz, tone safari site, Harmony Central and BJF Electronics.

But based on all the posts I've read and sound clips I’ve listened to, I still have some questions regarding the tonal characteristics/coloration of a portion of the BJ line. In particular, I am seeking some specific information on the following pedals: Dyna Red, EGDM, Honey Bee and Baby Blue.

Ok, now to the meat of my question. I had an opportunity to recently demo a Dyna Red. Plenty of gain on tap, and in general, a good sounding box. However, one thing that I did notice was that it seemed cut off some of the bass frequencies or either they are not as amplified as some of the other frequencies. As I turned up the distortion control from 9 o’clock, the mid frequencies seemed to become more pronounced which made the bass content seem even less at higher gain settings.

My question is, are the bass frequencies better preserved in the Baby Blue, EGDM or Honey Bee? I know that there are gain differences in all these pedals, so the nature of my question is more about how each of these pedals “handles” the low end frequencies. I also know that the Honey Bee is reported to be bassier than the others and was designed to be a touch sensative lower gain pedal.

I think the build quality of the BJ pedals is among the best out there and I generally liked what I heard coming out of the Dyna Red, but it just wasn’t quite what I was looking for.

Any comments or input is appreciated.

2. granite

granite Member

Calling DonneR or Pink Strat.....

Very well written post. Welcome to TGP. Your question interests me since I have a HB on order. I currently own a BJF SBEQ which would allow you to heighten the bass frequencies if they are lacking for your taste. One way to solve your problem.

3. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Hey Granite,

Thanks for the welcome! This is a great forum with lots of good info.

I'm seeking some additional info that will help me make the best BJFE choice.

4. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

5. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Howdy ~ welcome too...

Whats your Rig and your use application ??

especailly speakers and other instruments (if any) that you play with.......?

6. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Hello Donner,

I have a 50watt '68 plexi and run it clean into a 4x12 reissue checkerboard straight front cab with celestions. My guitar is a strat type Hum 2 single. I run the amp fairly clean so I can have a pseudo channel switching setup by using pedals for the gain.

Any advice?

Thanks.

7. Don Rusk

Well all the BJFEs have different EQ curves of course - just like amps and speakers each have a unique EQ....

sometimes for example a mid increase can be percieved as a bass decrease - like one way to get a mid increase in an amp that has no mid control is to turn down the bass and treble and increse the volume - defacto mid bump.

Ive always heard the Dyna as similar to a 4x12 cab with its lowmid 'bounce' - which could also be heard as a bass decrease -

the Honey Bee has a bass increase as you turn the nature dial to the left so if you like bass, it would likely be up your ally.......

and the speakers are also an EQ changer, even different celestions have a different EQ curve......

or 'everythings relative' ;)

8. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Donner,

Thanks much for your reply. :)

I fully understand what you're saying about increased mids being audibly perceived as bass decrease... and I did notice an apparent increase in the "thickness" of the mids when running up the gain on the DRD... which is not necessarily a bad thing... but to my taste, it ultimately resulted in the low end not being as pronounced as the other frequencies.

I've played through my Marshall rig for many years and I'm intimately familiar with its tone. But even at lower levels of gain, I noticed that the DRD seemed to govern the amount of low end present vs. the bypassed tone... which translated into the plexi losing some of its low end thump they are noted for. I'm not looking for increased bass per say, I just want to retain what's inherently within the amp.

I definitely appreciate all the pedal designers who put forth significant thought into their products. It is their passion and dedication which results in a broad pallet of voicings for all players to choose from. It's all about finding the correct combination of gear to achieve our tonal goals. Your advice on the Honey Bee seems like the direction I may need to go in.

Thanks again for your insight. :AOK

Best Regards,

9. Don Rusk

Well I guess the easy solution is to get the SBEQ and roll your own low end ; ]

the Little Green Wonder and the EGDM also give bass increase to the left, so theres two more options.:YinYang

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

The BBOD I owned had plenty of low end.

11. BJF

BJF Member

Hi Monsterplexi,

You may also consult me in your selection.

At your service
    BJ

12. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

DonneR and Playon,

Thanks much for your responses. I've never been a fan of adding outboard EQ to make up for loses... there's certainly nothing wrong with taking that approach, but my personal preference is to select a different pedal that doesn't attenuate the lows. I'd rather just retain the low end from the start rather than having to add it back in down the chain.

It sounds like the either the Baby Blue or the Honey Bee might be my best options.

Thanks again. :)

13. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

BJF,

Thanks much for your consultation offer. :)

In reading the feedback from the other forum members, they suggest that the Baby Blue or Honey Bee have more bass frequency content than the Dyna Red Distortion and thus, might be a better option for me.

In helping me make the best selection, could you comment on the differences of bass frequency content between the Dyna Red, Baby Blue, Emerald Green Distortion Machine and Honey Bee? (I'm aware of the differences in gain structure.) How do they differ in the amount/level of low end in the designed voicing of each pedal?

I am confident that given the diversity of your product line there is a single pedal solution for me. Again, hats off to your build quality... it's truly top notch. :AOK

14. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Splatt,

Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully BJ will see my questions in the above post and chime in.

15. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

16. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

BJF,

Thank you. I'd like to take you up on your consultation offer so I can make an informed decision about which pedal best suits my tonal preferences. Any input you can provide would be very benefical and appreciated. :)

Restating my question...

In reading the feedback from the other forum members, they suggest that the Baby Blue or Honey Bee have more bass frequency content than the Dyna Red Distortion and thus, might be a better option for me.

In helping me make the best selection, could you comment on the differences of bass frequency content between the Dyna Red, Baby Blue, Emerald Green Distortion Machine and Honey Bee? (I'm aware of the differences in gain structure.) How do they differ in the amount/level of low end in the designed voicing of each pedal?

17. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

If you decide on the BBOD I think you will have to find one used. I beleive due to an unavailablility of parts bjf has ceased production of that pedal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I own a BBOD and a HB is def on my list! FWIW I find the BBOD thickens up my strat nicely.

18. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I think Bjorn was suggesting that you email him rather than posting the same thing twice...

19. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Scott,

No problem, I thought he might have overlooked my post, so I bumped it and restated my question.

I figured that if I asked his advice within the post rather than a one-on-one email, then other forum members could benefit from his guidance by being able to view his response. Afterall, one of the primary purposes of forums such as this is to share info.

Since he is a senior member of the board and frequently contributes to other threads, I figured he would have responded to my question. Oh well.

Thanks.

20. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

A bit late reply, too many things at the moment I am afraid.

Anyway, there is far more to the models than just eq.
    Options you might want to look int would be
    PPF which maybe is fuzz bordering on distortion- it would have an organic response : rougher than distortion yet much behaved, bottom end and roundness to treble can be set via the Nature control
    EGD which has a more seethrough uppermid, and a peculiar compression also heavy output . Texture of distortion is fairly dry so it generally blends well with amps of some compression
    Bottom end, that can be quite big and upper treble can be set via Voice control
    HB which is a lowgain dynamic overdrive -if you like to work with dynamics in pickingforce to control distortion depth this one may be of interest. Frequency content ranges from big bottom ( the size of which can be set via Nature control) to rounded treble.
    BBOD ( still in stock at some dealers and some 14 units left to be made) is an overdrive that relies on complexity of distortion, that can be most useful with amps that don't give this complexity.
    Frequencycontent includes a mild uppermid emphasis and relatively thick bottomend that depending on the setup and controlsettings would appear thickening or seethrough giving most often a soft sound though not without teeth.This model thrives usually with most Fenders and Marshalls et.c but is picky about speakers and loading
    LGW which is a low compression overdrive that therefore blends well with otherwise compressed setups.
    It has a classic treble filtering for overdrives and gives an uppermid emphasis, bottom end is about low E on normal tuned guitars and settable via Voice control for thinner and or brighter sounds.
    2005 Edition is seethrough green and has control range to Voice slightly more evenly spread across pot dial.

DRD would normally appear to have seethrough bottomend through most rigs and it can also be customordered with bigger bottoms.

Perhaps I am a bit surprised at your observations on DRD and would if possible like to know the serialnumber of the unit you have tried.:eek:

Stay tuned for more models

At your service
    BJ