• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fresh Cream Tone - gear or fingers?

trisonic

Who's Udo Pipper?
I've always thought the JTM45 to be the King of All amps!
I've often considered how interesting it would have been if Mike Vernon had produced "Fresh Cream" and at Broadhurst Gardens.......

Best, Pete.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
wow that nails it. Id say 90% gear 10% fingers.
'Fingers' seems to be the buzzword for everything except the hardware itself.
Play the same gear, set it up the same way, play with the same technique, then record it and process 'til it sounds as close as it can to your target and you still won't be perfect, imo, but the last 2% is close enough.

Poppa Stoppa

I'm gonna bump this once just to say the tone that Udo Pipper has got there is the holy grail for early Clapton fans and to ask - can that be reproduced without genuine period equipment?

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I just wish old Udo would bend a little more in tune. But, he has the tone nailed pretty solidly.

Poppa Stoppa

Well yes and no...it's like a master painter painting with amazing paint - you can identify the paint quality and the draughting skill separately.

In the case of old Udo - he can't play like Clapton, but you can damn sure tell that he's been up Mount Olympus, done a deal with Zeus himself, and come back with the Sound Of The Gods. Or God in this case.

So my question is - can that incredible timbre be got without a superb 58-60 Les Paul and a great 65 JTM45 with KT66's?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
That just goes to show, if you can't get your bends in tune, it really doesn't matter what you're playing, you still sound like a cat with its tail caught in the door.

Poppa Stoppa

Haha, GCDEF, soldersucker, I don't suppose you have really got tin ears, you must be just messin'! It's not about how good a player that dude is, it's the sound he has got there.

Hehe you know that, I know.

lgehrig4

If his bends were out of tune then I guess I prefer out of tune because that whole thing sounded great to me. I'm glad I'm just a home playing hack because it would suck to be so good that I couldn't enjoy clips like this.

groove_king

BFD .. his bending and phrasing were crap, IMHO .. so what he has good gear .. it's still not musical

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
If his bends were out of tune then I guess I prefer out of tune because that whole thing sounded great to me. I'm glad I'm just a home playing hack because it would suck to be so good that I couldn't enjoy clips like this.
Yes, a bittersweet moment when one has elevated their skills to such a high level that a byproduct of superior wisdom is harsh critic. The playing has been done before by others with better chops but the Udo clips are very satisfying and demonstrate the objective extremely well. No flies around him.

Trending Topics