• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Freshly Lacquered Tweed!

TBIRD Phil

So I finally had the guts to lacquer my Blues Deluxe RI
I pretty much did what most people suggest to use on their tweed amps.
Zinser amber shellac, denatured alcohol. Purchased at local Home Depot.

1. Tear down. (Took less than 10 min)
2. Carefully removed front and back name plates with putty knife.
3. Used compressed air and blew the whole cab down
4. Mixed roughly 50/50 of shellac and denatured alcohol.
5. I brushed 3 light coats on waiting about an hour in between. I lightly sanded each time with 000 steel wool.
6. Reassembled amp
7. Sat there and marveled at my accomplishment!

After the third coat I again lightly sanded it with 0000 steel wool and was happy with the result.

stripped down

1st coat

3rd coat

Finished product!

Last edited:

TBIRD Phil

I took it apart yesterday morning, had 2 coats by noon and let it sit all night. I woke up early today and gave it one more coat. That stuff dries super fast. By noon today I gave it a light steel wool job and started piecing it back together. AND I just got back from a gig I took it to! All my band mates were surprised on how good it looked and how quick the job was. I thought it was going to stink up my car on the way to my gig but I couldn't even smell anything. Of course my wife says it has to stay in the garage till she says that it doesn't smell anymore. This amp is like a piece of furniture now!:drool:drool
I recommend anyone that wants a cool ass looking amp to try it. Materials are less than 20 bucks, taking it apart is a snap, and as long as you put on thin coats and take your time you really cant mess anything up. The shellac is almost like wiping water on. It goes on really thin but you can see the tone starting to come out after the first coat.
Whole "time worked" is probably 2 hours MAX.
FYI, a friend of mine used the Minwax polyshades honeypine and it turned out WAY too dark and brown looking. I like the lighter, amber tone myself, thats why I went with the zinser stuff. The minwax looked like an old piece of shiny luggage that my grandma would keep her old photos in.

OnlyVees

Stupid question- what did you mix the shellac and alcohol in? I think this will be my next project for my tweed 5E7 clone.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
Nice job...I have the Limited Edition Tweed Hot Rod Dlx that had factory lacquer...they look very nice. Oh and that 335 leaning against the amp - beautiful !

Travst

I've done a few amps and cabs with Bullseye amber shellac. One tip I'd like to add to folks who do this is to follow the 50/50 thinning with denatured alcohol. Using it straight may cause the shellac to collect along the seams and create darker areas in the fabric. Ask me how I know... ;)

Nice job on your amp, Phil!

TBIRD Phil

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!
To answer a couple questions...
No clear coat was applied. The stuff says just lay it on and thats it!
I mixed it in an empty 1qt can I got from home depot for a $1.50 or something like that.
One more thing! I read about shellac and I didn't know that the stuff comes from bugs! Thats why it doesn't smell as bad as I thought. They coat skittles with the stuff.

Derwood

Is the Blues Junior tweed actual tweed cloth or vinyl?

Curious because I have a Delta Blues and was wondering if this method would work for it, as I believe it's 'tweed' is actually a vinyl material.

highrise

That looks quite good!

I'm hesitant to do my tweed...because I've heard that you should use a coat of clear first (to combat the overly dark seams)...but I don't want to spend $10 on one coat of shellac...how much is denatured alcohol? Can you tell if it's puddling in the seams?

I have an unopened can of Amber sitting beside my Bassman.

This weekend? Maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

TBIRD Phil

That looks quite good!

I'm hesitant to do my tweed...because I've heard that you should use a coat of clear first (to combat the overly dark seams)...but I don't want to spend $10 on one coat of shellac...how much is denatured alcohol? Can you tell if it's puddling in the seams?

I have an unopened can of Amber sitting beside my Bassman.

This weekend? Maybe.
I didn't put any clear on first. Just used 1 to 1 mixture of denatured alcohol and shellac. The stuff goes on like water, just use a decent brush and take your time. I didn't notice any puddles on the seams. The parts I had to be careful with were the corners. You have to blend in each side you do or you might end up with darker edges.
Denatured alcohol was about $7 a quart at home depot.

Trending Topics