Fret Buzz - Starting To Lose Hair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by VTX-XTC, Sep 8, 2006.

1. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

I recently bought a Godin XTSA from a store in Oklahoma. After lots of problems with the shipper (don't use DHL...horrible experience), I finally got the guitar. It's a real beauty....transparent red flamed maple cap, ebony fingerboard. Also, it's really versatile....H-S-H pickup configuration, RMC piezo bridge, switching (some of which I installed), which allows humbuckers, single coils and various combinations of pickups using the 5-way and a couple of mini-toggle switches. I really like the guitar.

Here's the problem. The thing's always had a problem with excessive buzzing on the low E and A strings. I tried all kinds of different setups....everything from dead-straight to about 0.012 relief. Typically, I set my guitars up for about 5/64 (low side) to 4/64 high side, with around 0.008 relief. This is definitely not "super-low" action. Nothing got rid of the buzzing. Finally, I decided to dress the frets. I have an Erlewine neck jig, which I used in the process. I got the neck dead straight using a notched straightedge and then dressed the frets. When I got finished, the frets were absolutely level with the neck dead-straight. I checked very carefully for any "rockers"...none found. I was convinced that my buzzing problem had gone away. I was wrong. She's still got a problem with buzzing on the 2 low strings, which runs pretty much from the 2nd fret up to around the 8th fret. Once again, I've tried every kind of setup from dead-straight up to about 0.012 relief. The problem persists. I can't see any indication that the neck is twisted.

I'm starting to lose hair over this. Any suggestions?

2. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Get a 2nd opinion, bring it to a local tech with a good reputation to have another set of eyes look it over.

3. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

you dressed the neck... hmm... some necks are stubborn. not sure what to do at this point, can you return it?

dave

4. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Nut slots cut to deep on the A and E?

5. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

Good thought, but the open notes don't buzz....just fretted notes.

6. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

Good suggestion. I had already planned on doing this, but I thought it might be worthwile to post here in the forum first.

Any of you guys here that do luthier work ever have a "tough dog" like this in your shop?

7. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Oh man, I don't mean to be a downer but I had an AWESOME original Parker Fly Deluxe from like the first year of production. The action was like a close shave on a gnats ass!

Then one day the neck just freaked. Insane buzz on the high E down low. Could not get rid of it.

I brought it to my extremely accomplished luthier and he performed all sortsa trauma surgery.

It was never the same, the mojo was gone, it gave up the ghost.

E-Bay!!

8. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

Make a new nut... open or not, that will make the low end buzzzzz

You can raise the brige at bit, and loosen the truss rod.

Sometimes It’s the weather not the wood :rolleyes:

9. patpark

patpark Member

you may have leveled the frets with too much back bow. if the neck had a slight backbow and was leveled in this position then the buzzing is more noticeable on the wound strings.

also look at the crown of the frets. is it round enough or too square? is it possible you may have affected the level during the crown and polish?

i've had guitars like this, cheap and expensive that just seem to buzz no matter what you do. i agree that 4/64 and 5/64 at the 12th fret you should have some minimal buzzing, but not excessive.