Fret Buzz ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GetchaPull, Feb 10, 2012.

1. GetchaPull

GetchaPull Member

This is normal thing to all guitars (electric) ?
    I've got 10-52 strings , 25.5 scale , and my strings height over 12 fret is about :
    1.5 mm for treble E
    1.8 mm for bass E

I must say i hit the strings rather hard , but when i hit the normal - i don't hear the buzz , or the buzz is so minimal ...
    I'm also must add , that i cannot hear any buzz in amp - i hear the buzz only on unplugged guitar.

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

This is normal. Most players ignore it if it isn't coming out the amp, but if it bothers you, raising the action should help alleviate it. Going to a heavier gauge of strings might help as well.

3. GetchaPull

GetchaPull Member

Ok , thanks ;)

I've got another question , similar to previous so i ask here :

Is there any way to eliminate guitar pick sound when playing fast ?

4. smallstoner

smallstoner Member

Try a different pick, made of different material. The Dunlop Tortex picks, for instance, have less of a "click" on attack than regular celluloids. There are a lot of different materials to try.

Beyond that, a compressor can squash the pick attack somewhat.

5. Noone You KNow

Noone You KNow Member

That will drive you insane:bonk. You can minimize it, but how high do you want your action before it becomes uncomfortable to play? Don't worry too much about it (that is unless there is an actual problem like fret or nut issues).

6. 3leggeddog

3leggeddog Member

Nothing to worry about really, unless it's extreme and causing notes to not ring out as they should. I think that keeping your string action at a comfortable height is more important that eliminating a little bit of harmless fret buzz.

7. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

A lot of us "at home" players, often playing unplugged or at low volumes, often notice things (e.g. Fret buzz, tube rattles, etc) that cannot be heard thru an amp at gig volumes. Electirc guitars and tube combos often make noises. I have learned to live with the ones that do not effect playability or tone thru an amp.