Fret Indentations?

I found a S-style partscaster on ebay which has a 90s MIJ 50s RI Strat Neck and chatted with the seller when I asked about fret condition. Thats when he sent me some photos of the fretboard with dented frets, obviously because of the strings. Not all frets have dents, but the 3rd and 4th. The seller says he doesnt notice them while playing...
So should I still buy this?
I will try to add some pics.

T Dizz

Assume it will need a level and crown and ask for a 100 off .. just in case.

EdFarmer

There's not nearly enough information here to give you advice . . . How much is the guitar worth to you in pristine condition? How much in this condition? Can you do the work yourself or would you have to pay for it? Do you have a relationship with someone who can do the work? Is there anything special about the guitar?

Are you willing to take the chance that this will become a problem if you buy the guitar without playing it first?

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
It is very possible the dents go too deep to be solved with a level, crown and polish. Could be risky. If it were me I would look elsewhere.

WhiskeyTango

Can you post the pics they sent you? It's certainly possible to have worn spots in frets that you can't necessarily feel while playing.

FWIW, I have an older guitar that the previous owner wore divots into on a few frets, but when I play it, I don't notice them at all.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Looks to me like you need a standard fret level and crown. A light mill may not completely remove the deepest dings, but it'll play fine.

I think from these pics that there's enough meat and height on the frets for a leveling, but I think you're gonna have to take it to a tech or luthier to get an 'in person' evaluation. Shouldn't be a big, complicated or expensive job, judging from the pics. I agree with the approx $100 estimate. Since the level will lower the frets, you probably won't have to replace the nut - though I ALWAYS recommend a new bone nut, as long as you're at it. Add $50-$75 or so for a new nut - it's takes awhile and there's a lot of detail to making a new one. If the nut is already bone, you probably won't need a new one - just a standard set up.

It's just 'normal' wear and tear, nickel steel frets do wear and develop grooves - no big deal, sez me!

Hope this helps, Dana O.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Still kinda hard to tell from those pics, but that's a decent amount of wear.

That said, the frets look big, which is a good thing for you. You can most likely get a grind and polish done to remove enough wear and still leave plenty of playing surface.

Budget that in and you should be in good shape.

Unfortunately it sold yesterday :( for about 380 bucks.
But thanks for the help. Still plenty of Partscasters out there that I can buy...

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
Of course, the flip side of this is that you can encounter a neck with pristine frets and a wiggly fingerboard which would be far more problematic.

You will never know about playability until the guitar is in your hands, and of course, if you like high action, then you'll have fewer problems with any neck.

... Thom

Trending Topics