• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fret leveling new PRS?

Phishy4

I picked up a new PRS S2 Mira a couple weeks ago (my first "new" guitar in a very long time) and when I got it, the action was fairly high out of the box. The guy at the shop dropped the bridge a little until we were at right about 2/32's. I think things sort of settled in over a week or so I started getting quite a bit of buzz from the low E from the 1st fret on and the A a little in the lower frets and in a patch in the middle of the neck (around 8).

I ran a fret rocker up the neck (I know, doesn't give the entire picture) but I did find 2-3 high spots that I think could be causing at least some of my issues. I've got 2 very good luthiers that I work with locally who have both said to me they've never had to really do much to a new prs out of the box because their fretwork is so good. Have you guys ever had to do a fret level out of the box on a new PRS? Granted this is an S2 so its not a Core, but also should be better than an SE finish work wise.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
My first though when I read the thread title was "I've never had to really do much to a PRS out of the box...maybe tweak the nut a bit and do a basic setup."

Do you know how to check and adjust the relief? Make sure the neck isn't back bowed or dead straight (too close to being backbowed!). Where I like it on an electric is with just a tiny hair of relief, just barely enough that I'm sure it's not back bowed. Why not take it back to your tech to have a look at? Some guys offer a free "touch up" after a new setup to take care of the inevitable minor things like this that might take a few seconds to dial in. I know I used to.

Last edited:

Phishy4

Hey John. I set the relief at .005 and .010 and it seems to be happier playability wise right around .005 with the bridge slightly higher (I'm like you, i like as little relief as i can get away with). I haven't actually adjusted it far enough one way or another to eliminate the buzz all together, but at their spec (.010 relief and 2.5/32s action at the 12th fret bass side) it still buzzing pretty bad. PRS said to send it back to them and they'll figure it out, my only hesitation is that after shipping I'm probably close to half the cost of just giving it to a world class luthier that lives by me who I'm sure could make it sing with no problem. I was a little concerned initially about having someone do the work locally and having it void the warranty, but PRS told me as long as the work wasn't "substandard" it wouldn't affect it.

My first though when I read the thread title was "I've never had to really do much to a PRS out of the box...maybe tweak the nut a bit and do a basic setup."

Do you know how to check and adjust the relief? Make sure the neck isn't back bowed or dead straight (too close to being backbowed!). Where I like it on an electric is with just a tiny hair of relief, just barely enough that I'm sure it's not back bowed. Why not take it back to your tech to have a look at? Some guys offer a free "touch up" after a new setup to take care of the inevitable minor things like this that might take a few seconds to dial in. I know used to.