Fret size and ease of use

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by giventofly, Sep 21, 2006.

1. giventofly

giventofly Member

looking for the fret measurements of a 1959 strat. I'm getting a custom guitar built and am trying to replicate the 59, are the vintage frets sold at warmoth/musikraft etc. easier to play then say medium 6105 frets? :confused:

2. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

6105s are great frets for a '59 Strat. They're tall so they'll last longer and they're quite easy to play. They make bending a bit easier than the original frets.

3. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

frets are all personal taste. many like larger than vintage fender.

go to guitar center and try an av57 reissue if you can and then try a modern strat. the radius is 7.25 on the old one and the new one is 9. it's all about personal preference.

4. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I do a lot of bending, but I also do a lot of sliding up and down the fretboard. For my style I actually don't care for the really tall frets like 6105s or 6100s since they feel too bumpy when sliding around. I DO like something slightly taller than the vintage Fender frets though. For me the Gibson medium-jumbos or the Fender American Standard medium-jumbos are just right.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

It really depends on what you're playing style is. I play mostly a blues/jazz fusion sort of style so I prefer something like a 6155 medium jumbo. 6105's I tend to feel more when sliding up and down the fretboard.

6. Gradinger

Gradinger Member

Fret size needs to be considered in conjunction with the strings you use. If you like 11s or 12s, the 6105s will feel good, but if you use slinky little 10's, you may prefer the lower 6130 frets (Gibson-style). The downside is that you may only be able to level and crown them once.

The sharper profile of the 6105's gives a strong fundamental and better high-frequency response, with the bass strings having a piano-like quality.