Fret size and vibrato

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Kmaz, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Would you say there is a strong link between the size of frets you use and the technique/sound of your finger vibrato?

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yes, I MUCH prefer taller frets. I don't like to feel much wood beneath my fingers....

Chris

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

You get a much better grip of the strings on tall frets so controlling the nu-onces of your vibrato is easier allowing you to be more adventurous.

4. ButchP

ButchP Member

I don't have tall frets I have a short fingerboard :) (scalloped)

Some players like the fight of high action which I don't get(mines super duper low).I just want it to be easy to manipulate the notes so I can control it as easy and as much as possible...and scalloping worked for me.

I can bend and vibrato a note even if my finger position is bad because it's soo easy to "grip".Same with hammers and pulls.The tricky part is having a touch.

Tall frets ,short fingerboard :AOK:AOK

BP

5. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Thanks, guys. I've got a couple of R. Kelly guitars on order with 6105 frets on a 7.25 radius.

6. Bob V

Bob V Member

If the frets are too tall, your finger will just slide up and down the string when you try to vibrato, but if the strings are low enough you can get a little fretboard drag and your finger can stay where it is and the string will warble more. It's the main reason I don't like super tall frets like the .058 mountains on the Fender Highway One guitars.